Need to Vent----Troubles with Aide in Classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Kgirl1357, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Kgirl1357

Kgirl1357 Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

ARRRRGGGGG! I am so sick and tired of my classroom aide and just need a second to vent. Thank goodness we only have a week of school left because I have had it with her drama laden attitude and passive agressiveness which always leaves me feeling like I'm walking on eggshells in my own classroom. I know that she applied for my job and is still bitter because she didn't get it but this has gone too far. Now she's upset that I gave her less than absolutely perfect on every part of her yearly evaluation even though I said that she was still satisfactory in all areas. To top it off, I went on a 30 min. rant telling her with all niceness what a wonderful employee she was, how great she was with the kids, how much I appreciate her hard work, etc. but to no avail. She's still so upset about the stupid evaluation that she's sending off vibes that are making the classroom seem like a pressure cooker! ACCCCKK I really hope they approve my request to have her transferred, I can't take this all next year! :eek:

3. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 11, 2007

Sounds awful. I've had the same type of problems with CNA's, they really can be more trouble than they're worth sometimes.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Yeah, who needs her? Cross you fingers and hope that she gets transferred. I can't stand people like that!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 12, 2007

I really think that adminstrators should evaluate the aides too. I had one that did not talk to me after I evaluated her. We were only given 2 choices - satisfactory and needs work and she was far from satisfactory. She had no discipline strategies, did not watch the students in her care, took 20 to 30 minutes to use the restroom and would come back and say "Oh, I forgot to use the restroom." and she tattled worse than my students. I was so frustrated when my principal made me change her evaluation because my evaluation would be the only one in her permanent file and he did not want her to have a bad one.

6. JEL

JEL Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Do many teachers do annual evaluations of their TAs/Aides? I'm a Teaching Assistant, and my principal is my supervisor. This year I'm assigned to a self-contained classroom with one Special Ed teacher and another TA. The principal can reassign us (TAs) at any time with 2 days notice, and she does the year-end evaluations. I'm thinking of it as I received a copy of mine today.

7. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

Yeah--that sounds like a bad situation--hopefully the principal will see the negativity that it is bringing to the classroom and transfer her out. Good Luck!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 22, 2007

When I was an aide at one school, the two teachers I worked with had to evaluate me.
    At another school we had to evaluate ourselves, than the Principal agreed or disagreed with you. That was the worst!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

Our principal is the only one who evaluates us. The teachers don't. The P hears about us from the teachers all year long but they don't formally fill out any evaluation.

Proud2be...The restroom thing happens around here and is unprofessional in my opinion. Go to the restroom and come back. The class needs you. The discipline thing I have to have a defense for...I'm better than my teacher but NONE of us aides have ANY training in ANY of that. I happen to have kids of my own and that's a starting point.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

Discipline wise, I think it is common sense to tell a student not to eat crayons, to keep their hands to themselves and not to hit or not to blow bubbles in their milk, to stay in line... If the students don't listen that is one thing but for her not to say a word to them and to come and tell me; this is where I had a problem. She had 2 teenage kids, subbed in special ed. classes for a year and taught Sunday School; so discipline wise, I don't think I was "wrong" to expect her to have some skills from her.

I told my AP that I did not want to work with her again, so she was placed in another special ed. class. That teacher also complained. The parapro was looking to be friends with the students and did not want to discipline them. She even went as far as to befriend 4th and 5th graders and to ask for permission to eat lunch with them or for them to come into the classroom during classtime to eat their lunch. She also gets students from other classes to go into "off limit" areas during recess so that they can chase her; no matter how many times their teachers tell her not to call their students over to chase her :eek: . She is a 43 year old woman who acts like she is 13.

She will be a kindergarten parapro. next year. They also do not want to work with her because they always see her in the hall, in the lunchroom, visiting,...

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

I changed my mind. That really is NO discipline effort. Does she not realize that is her role? Does she think it is teacher's role only? Does she feel uncomfortable with it being her role in your classroom? Or do you think she is just basically lazy and drawing a paycheck?

12. JEL

JEL Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I don't know what the dynamics are in your classrooms, but I've learned the relationships among the adults in a classroom can be much more complicated than those between the adults and the students.

I spent the year trying to "read" our teacher, and feeling like I had to tiptoe around her ego. On the one hand, she wanted us (TAs) to handle discipline, on the other, she inconsistently reversed or didn't support TA initiative. When that happens, one learns to wait rather than take action.

The teacher's style of classroom control involved a lot of yelling and threatening. I've worked with my own and other children for years in numerous supervisory situations, and never found that to be effective. Because I was there to assist the teacher, I didn't question her methods, and did my best to support her. The atmosphere was exhausting, though.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

I'm so lucky. My teacher and I make an awesome team. In fact she is freaking out because pre-k this year is such a small class that it doesn't warrant more than a part-time aide (which means the part-time drama teacher is part-time aide). SO she is worried that in 2 years she'll lose me. Awww.... So sweet!!

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

She just doesn't get it. You will talk to her, come up with a new individual plan and schedule for her (that she feels will work for her), she will cry for a few days and not talk to you for a few days. She will follow the plan for a week and then revert back to her old behaviors.

She says she loves working in a school but she really enjoys "hanging out" in a school. The special ed. teacher that she worked with this year, told the AP that she does nothing during classtime, disappears for 45 minutes, collects work from other teachers and corrects it during work hours..., so instead of talking to her, they are giving her a new position as a kg. parapro. next year.

Between us, I think she has psychological problems. Her 18 year old son dated a girl for 4 years and she thought of the girl as best friend. Her son broke up with the girl a few months ago and she was heartbroken. She did not sleep for 2 weeks and was coming up with plans and bribes to get her son to date his ex- again. She was sneaking behind her son's back seeing this girl. She bought her son a car last month as a bribe.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

Kgirl...people do get resentful when they feel like they should have gotten the job and it isn't your fault at all!! Sorry you have to go through that especially when you are obviously trying to smooth feathers.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

I was a TA for 3 years and I loved it!! I feel that being a TA has helped me be a better teacher and has helped me when working with my TAs.

17. JEL

JEL Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

Why does the school continue to employ this woman?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

We have a hanging out para but what's funny is her strength is in the second language our students use so the teacher does use her a lot for more indepth translation when the students get stuck. She uses her during center time too. But ask her to do prep work or work in the classroom supporting the students during classtime, she is probably off in the halls chatting somewhere.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

My school does not fire parapros. They just keep moving them around until they leave. My principal does not do well with "crying women" and tends to do what he has to in order to get them to stop. I gave this parapro in question low scores in 2 areas of her evaluation, she cried and I had to change it and give her passing scores. She is really a nice lady, especially if you are not working with her and depending on her....

20. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

similar problem

My team shares our PA's with the other sixth grade team. Both teams have had the same problems with our two aids. The first one is extremely lazy so she wants all the special ed students together. Which meant for me that 17 out of 28 students in one class were surrounding her and next to each other. Their behavior was so bad with her there. SO imagine their behavior when I was in the room alone. I ended up seperating everyone and assuming she was not their everyday when making plans. The other aid, wants to talk on her phone, take pictures, and chat in my room. I do not know how many times I would stop teaching and say someone is being rude and wait for her to stop talking ot a student. Then she still did not get it. She wanted answer keys so she could give the answer to the students. but she would give them the wrong answers. she left 15 minutes early and was always 15 minutes late. I asked why she had a job and they said she is related to _______ at the board. which is even more ridiculus b/c if she were related to me I would not want her to be any reflection of me.

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

nicknbeccarock, I feel your pain, but I had to laugh when I read your last line, "I asked why she had a job and they said she is related to _______ at the board. which is even more ridiculus b/c if she were related to me I would not want her to be any reflection of me." This is soooo true, I would not want to admit that I recommended someone like this for a job :).

22. JEL

JEL Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

Wow, I can't imagine behaving the way you're describing, or keeping my job if I did! This is exactly the sort of thing that gives people the impression that TAs are not professionals. What a shame for the rest of us that they get away with it!

Do they have formal observations?

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

Mine, don't get formal observations, but they are smart enough to "behave" when an adminstrator is around.

Teachers evaluate in my county but we are not even provided with a skills to evaluate them on. Teachers need to list up to 8 things that they do in our classroom and evaluate them based on this. This year I could only think of 4 things that my parapro. does regularly in my classroom. My parapro.this year would have gotten a "pass" if I would have put on "writing stories to friends via e-mail during classtime" on her evalualtion.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

I had one excellent parapro. last year. I talked her into getting her credentials to be a spec. ed. teacher and she did. I am leaving my school this year and she will be taking over my spec. ed. class. I am so excited for her and I have no worries about leaving my students in her very capable and caring hands.

25. JEL

JEL Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

That's too funny. The teacher in my classroom was the one spending all her time on the computer. It amazes me how many people seem to think private email (with lots of shared pics, of course) and personal shopping are fine when a computer is provided in the classroom.

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

The teacher next door to me took turns teaching and shopping on-line with her parapro.. What gets me, is that they were really proud of this...

27. Kindteacher

Kindteacher New Member

Jun 22, 2007

I would like to share with everyone a great book that my district has purchased for summer reading. It's "The Speed of Trust" by Stephen M. R. Covey. The book has to do with building trust in all of our relationships, and why it is advantageous to do so. I can imagine how stressful (and awkward) your job has been. Unfortunately, from time to time, we have to deal with staff members, aids, parent helpers or bosses who are extremely difficult. It behooves us to build trust in those relationships because everyone benefits from it. Even to the point of having an effect on the room atmosphere. Don't you think your kids picked up on that? Some of the people we deal with are insecure, afraid to lose their jobs, or that you will take a job away from them. Unless a person has extreme mental problems or is insanely insecure, it is hopeful that you can build a relationship with them. I encourage you to see what can be repaired in this relationship. You will grow yourself, and be prepared when you work with new people. If the person truly is not stable, THEY DO NOT BELONG AROUND CHILDREN!!!"

28. Kathy1013

Kathy1013 New Member

Jun 28, 2007

One of my paras was "missing" last year and was gone for about an hour. We were concerned because she had had some health problems. We checked the restrooms, called on the speaker (goes to the outside, too) and still no para!

She finally came back and looked so SHOCKED that we were looking for her and SHOCKED that we would be upset that she decided to go to Wal-Mart for an hour!!!!!!!!!!

She no longer works for the district. :D

Kathy