Need to Vent: Sometimes people can drive you nuts:

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MelissainGA, Jun 30, 2012.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 30, 2012

Ok, first off let me preface this by saying I have had AT&T service forever. We are talking Phone, DSL, Wireless. I had service back home in Kentucky when it was still BellSouth and since I have been here in Georgia for the past almost 10 years. I have always been VERY pleased with the customer service that I have received. Problem with DSL service: new router overnighted and back in service in less than 24 hours (happened twice). Phone issue- taken care of in under 24 hours.

Well, now to the situation at hand. We were out of town when the U-Verse sales rep came around selling service for our neighborhood (bf had never been to Kentucky so I wanted to prove to him that you could drive for miles and not see anything but cornfields :))

So the service tech comes and installs the townhouse on my right (200). Then on Monday he comes and installs the townhouse on my left (220). I explained to the tech that I would like service also and he says ok, puts me on his phone with the sales department: I'm sorry miss ___ your neighborhood doesn't qualify for service. My reply: I am watching your tech install service right now. She asked to speak to the tech who she proceeds to tell - this neighborhood doesn't qualify for service. - His reply: Yes actually it does since this is about the 5th one I have done personally in this neighborhood in the past 7 months. So, I call back after I don't get the call or e-mail I am supposed to the next day. Talk to someone else who says that they see where a case was opened and makes some additional notes and I will DEFINITELY get a call by the end of business the next day. Doesn't happen. So the next day - I call, first girl can't find my address in her system, second one can't find it. Get a lead- says he can't figure out why I can't get service since I am SANDWICHED BETWEEN TWO TOWNHOUSES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE SERVICE. I am actually closer to the service hub than 200 is. He states that I will get a reply back within an hour to two. Doesn't happen. So about 4 hours later I get on chat with someone in India I think (from the accent). He gives me reasons 5 and 6 about why my one townhouse of the 9 in the row and of approximately 90 homes in the subdivision is the only one that CAN'T get service. I end up on the phone (they call) and his supervisor states that they will send a tech out to check on the situation either Friday or Saturday- doesn't happen as far as I am aware since they stated they would have to check something at my house also and noone came by since I have been home both days all day. It just aggravates me that it's some type of simple computer glitch - and they can't seem to get a handle on it.

Ok thanks for letting me vent. I don't feel quiet so :mad: now that I have typed it out. I was considering canceling all my services earlier. It just ticks me that it could be handled if they would just send a tech out and look how close I am to the service hub (less than 200 feet)

So does anyone have an in with AT&T Management? I could sure use someone that has a position of power right now.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 30, 2012

This problem is not exclusive to AT&T. The same thing happened around me when Verizon FIOS came out. I was handed a card by a door to door person telling us it's now available in our area. A few months later when we called to get it they said are area didn't qualify. After explaining that a bunch of people on our street already had it we eventually got it. Sorry but I don't remember how long it took.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

If you tell them you are canceling they will give you deals to keep you.

I got 3 months of free HBO and Showtime just for "thinking" I had to reapply for the Baseball network (it was an auto renew).

Oh and don't worry "Sometimes people can drive you nuts" it is a short drive. :lol:

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I went a round with Windstream back in May.

My ex gave permission to switch service from my name to his. Funny, since he had never paid the bill or talked to them about service in the 12 years we had been married. They cancel his account and open a new one for me, keeping the phone number and all Internet and other services.

Within 24 hours, my Internet is down. Nobody will talk to me. Not listed on the account, they say. Cannot convince them that it is, in fact, my account. However, they gladly let me change things on the account the day before that. Get it back on, and it shorts out my modem because I upgraded to faster service. Overnight new modem. Still nothing. Rep won't talk to me. Wait for business office person who tells new rep to talk to me. Then they give me the wrong person's information, trying to convince me that it is in fact mine. OMG! I know who I am, and I know my own email address.

It took a week of no Internet, a new modem, 10 people, and hours and hours on the phone. My favorite was the day I kept gettin cut off when I'd reach a rep. "Technical issues", they say.

I was just about ready to tell them where they could stick their phone and Internet. I finally got to a tier 2 technician who found the issue.

Take a deep breath and keep trying.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 1, 2012

AT&T was pretty much the cell phone plan that everyone I knew used in HS. We had a large storm that knocked out the closest tower to us, which really effected service of everyone I knew. You couldn't really get anything in buildings and had to go wave your phone around in the parking lot to try to get service. My HS phsyics teacher went to the AT&T store to complain and they denied that the tower wasn't working. They told him that since he carries the phone in his pocket, the "phone waves" (yes, they said "phone waves") couldn't get through the denim material in his jeans- at which point of course he informed him that he was a physics teacher and that was a bunch of baloney!

I've had problems with basically any service. I will second what IrishDave said though- call them and tell them you're thinking of cancelling and they'll get you a deal. Unfortunately for me, comcast and century link are the only internet providers in my area. I hate comcast, but at least it's fast and works- whereas my friends with century link say they can't even watch netflix streaming or anything no matter what download speed they supposedly have. So I called comcast and told them that I wanted to keep the internet but get rid of the cable b/c it was just too expensive. They offered me the "introductory" rate I had previously had, which cut my total bill in half and was only 5 dollars more a month than the "regular" internet-only price was. It's worth a shot!

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

Same thing with Dominoes pizza! They will deliver down the street, but won't stop at my house. They have to drive past my house but they claim we live too far away.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 1, 2012

I feel your pain. We set up utilities for a new place yesterday and had the WORST customer service experience with Verizon. It was just AWFUL. We called once and got the price but said we'd talk it over and then call back. We decided to sign up, then it all fell apart. I can't even explain the debacle but essentially we received a different price from every person we talked to, had a credit check run without our permission, they wanted to run another credit check because they couldn't just look up that one, we were hung up on, etc. It was just ridiculous and they were so awful. We were very kind and patient and it didn't seem to matter. We ended up just giving up and getting cable, which is far cheaper anyway. It's a shame because we REALLY wanted FiOS and were willing to pay for it. Their internet is far better, but apparently customer service is far worse.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 1, 2012

I had the same problem with Comcast when my service was out once. They kept saying that it would take them a week to restore our Internet service. I talked to several people, and eventually ended up canceling the service.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 1, 2012

When Verizon FiOS came to our area, we were unable to get FiOS for a year and a half, even though one of those boxes was installed literally 150 feet down the road from us

Why?

Verizon hired a third party surveyor team to map out areas of expansion for FiOS.

Apparently their surveyor mapped our house (and just our house) in a town two towns over, where there was no FiOS service.

We literally had to call the VP for Residential Services for NJ (Found it on google), who dealt with it personally.

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 5, 2012

Well, here is the latest update on this situation: I got in touch with the regional manager for the Southeast for Customer Service. We had a nice talk for about an hour. I proceeded to let her know why the 7 different people I had spoken to before were blowing smoke (how the reasons that I had been given didn't make logical sense because of other things that had occured). On the conclusion of our conversation I was told yes this has obviously been handled very poorly which is not the way AT&T conducts business, I got her promise that the tech would be out by Tuesday to check the loop (one of the reasons I was given was the loop length was too short for me to get service even though I am about 200 feet from the service hub and my neighbor is only 50 feet from the hub and can get service. So... to be continued.....Tuesday.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

Hope it all works out!

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

Sounds like every time I've ever had to call customer service for ANYTHING (phone, internet, electricity, banking, etc. etc.). I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I hope you get service quickly!

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 5, 2012

Thanks, I wouldn't even be worried about it but we currently have Charter and it's absolutely horrible... they keep taking off channels and raising the price, did it agian this month, took 8 channels off but raised the price 5 more bucks. The only other option is Dish which from those who have had it ... appears to go out everytime there is a hard wind. The people who have this say it's really pretty good.

15. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 13, 2012

Well I have finally achieved a solution to the U-Verse Saga. It took going through 8 different people and speaking directly to the Vice President for Customer Service for the Southeast Region but they have determined that wow, U-verse is available in my subdivision. I have an install on Thursday. I am hopeful that this will at least get AT&T to convince their sales team that hey, if A has service, C has service and B wants service but it doesn't show that they can have service even though all of the parameters are the same for customer B then you might need to use some logical thinking skills and realize the computer might be incorrect. The VP stated that there was a case just like mine in FL and they had just achieve a solution to it.

So, what makes this funny is Charter(who provides terrible service) has been calling me every other day to get me to take a bundle package with them, lock in for a two year time period and charge me more money. I had politely told them I wasn't interested until the one the other day, I had finally had enough because she wouldn't take "no thank you" for an answer. So I let her know that I was not going to take her up on her offer because I was in the process of getting rid of their service due to the fact they continually decrease the channel lineup and increasing the monthly fees. She proceeded to hang up on me and I haven't had another call :)

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

You go girl!

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

Glad it's worked out. I had a similar problem with Verizon--I was in a development of duplexes, and the neighbors on both sides of me had Verizon internet (including the one who was in the other half of my BUILDING!). I was told that service was not available for me. My address was not showing up in their system (I kept being told it was "not a valid address"--ummm, it was okay with the post office!), and all sorts of other nonsense. I eventually gave up. When I moved two years ago, they had the same issues with finding my address. I suggested they update their information, and then went looking elsewhere...