Need to know for Elem interview?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by elemteacher?, Mar 1, 2007.

1. elemteacher?

elemteacher? New Member

Mar 1, 2007

Hello All,

I currently teach (and have taught) middle school for 2 years. However, the attitudes are beginning to get to me. So I have been applying for elementary school positions. (I am certified K-8th grade). Since a middle school is different from an elementary school, what do you suggest I know when going to interview? Like helpful hints on what is important in elementary school?

Also, I would love to know of any good books to read on teaching in elementary school!

Thanks in advance!

3. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Mar 1, 2007

Well if interviewing for grades 1-2 it's about literacy development and moving to independent reading. They often ask what your room would look like if they walked in.

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Mar 1, 2007

That's the same question that stumped me on my last interview >< "What would you classroom look like if you taught Kindergarten?" I don't know why I got hung up on it, but I did. I became tongue tied on that one.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 1, 2007

For reading and writing, check out Lucy Calkins and Fountas & Pinnell, and Debbie Miller.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 2, 2007

Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning is amazing. It really is all about Reading/Writing/Math. Be prepared to share your philosophy on how you would teach these things.

7. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Mar 2, 2007

If a principal walked into my room they would see students engaged in activities, cooperative learning activities, student work hanging up, teacher interacting with students. They would not see students just sitting at their desks doing worksheets, etc. The interviewers are looking for responses that lets them know that your students will be in "engaged".