Need to find a practicum project

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kpa1b2, Jul 9, 2011.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

I'm working on my master's in literacy. This fall I'm doing an on-the-job practicum supervised by my University. I have to do a literacy based project during the course of the 10 week practicum. It must have 60 hours of student contact hours. Those are the parameters that I have been given.

I can't figure out what to do! I will be teaching kindergarten & I expect my students to come in knowing very few of their letters & even less sounds. I typically get the low students

Balanced literacy is too broad of a subject & phonemic awareness too narrow.

Any thoughts?

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

Does it have to be one component?

What about phonics and the process of learning to write words/sentences? I did something like this for my national boards and it turned out great! Students typically start out by using one letter to represent words...by November/December, my students were using letters to represent each sound in a word.

You could even combine phonemic awareness and phonological awareness...?

Hope this helped.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

I'm guessing that we can combine things. The only guidance we've been given was when we had a professor big on guided reading. She suggested guided reading to us. Knowing that most of my kiddos will come in low I didn't feel like that would be an option for me.

I did think about doing something with writing. This idea will combine the phonics/phonemic awareness that I know they will need with something more.

I'm going to email my advisor & see what she says. Thanks for your help!