Need to find a college class

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by FarFromHome, Oct 25, 2013.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2013

I need to take a 2-3 credit college class to reactivate my teaching certificate in my home state. The requirements just say that it should be relevant to my teaching and should not be a repeat of a class I've already taken.

Does anyone know where I could take a cheap, fast class? Online or correspondence classes are fine (from an accredited college or university). I would probably prefer a 2 credit class because of how busy I am. And I would be looking for a class relevant to Elementary Education (general, not music).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 25, 2013

I've heard really good things about Walden University. Many of my coworkers have done classes through them and were very impressed. One of my colleagues even took a class taught by Robert Marzano. Although it's not your "typical" university, I do think their course catalog is impressive and they've done a good job of recruiting experts in the field to instruct.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 25, 2013

Does the University of Hawaii offer anything online? You might qualify for in state rates.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2013

Thanks BumbleB and agdamity! I will look up Walden classes. I actually have a friend who just started teaching at the University of Hawaii this year, so I will try to check with her about classes. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to just take one class.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 25, 2013

I have never looked into them, but several people I know have mentioned enhancement courses.com.

7. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Oct 25, 2013

Check out Chaminade University of Honolulu, thats where I took classes when i was teaching on Oahu

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2013

Thank you!!

9. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Oct 26, 2013

I took classes through Learner's Edge, Inc. and received graduate credit from North Dakota State University, which is NCATE accredited. It was very affordable and helped me renew my teaching certification a couple years ago.

Their website says it is $385 for a three credit hour course. Not bad, I think! That includes the textbooks you need.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2013

University of San Diego has a nice selection of distance courses.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2013

I appreciate all of the suggestions!

I've been working on National Board Certification and will find out if I passed in November or December. If I pass, do you think this might be accepted instead of a class? I'll have to call and ask next week.

They actually said I can get hired with the expired certification (getting hired will reactivate it), but I want to make sure I have the best chance of getting a job!

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 27, 2013

In Ohio National Board is not grad hours, but might count toward CEUs. You need 6 semester hours or 180 hours to renew here.

Check with your local professional development committee.