Need to decorate a pumpkin

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lanie750, Oct 25, 2005.

1. lanie750

lanie750 Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

Any quick, creative ideas to decorate a pumpkin for a pumpkin decorating contest??? I feel like I don't have ANY time for this and I have to hand in a decorated pumpkin by Thursday. I have third graders..... any ideas would help! Thank you!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 25, 2005

Paint, markers, felt, or if you're really brave carve. If you have a classroom theme, it might be neat to decorate it like that.

4. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

Do you have something like a bag of craft Jewels or sequins? You could make a spangly pumpkin, maybe even printing out one of the hundreds of pumpkin carving templates on the web, and instead of carving it out, glue on jewels or stencils in those patterns. Glitter would work too.

I suppose you could take a big square of white fabric, and make your pumpkin a ghost halloween costume the same way you would make a kid's last minute ghost costume, cutting out room for eyes and the pumpkin stem. That could be really cute!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 25, 2005

We are having a contest at school and some have been so darling. I think it's turning into a contest of parents rather than the kids though! One of my kids made a frog with styrofoam eyes and cardboard feet which is absolutely darling and my favorite since my room is decorated with frogs, and others have made a fake fur covered rabbit, a baseball complete with Astros hat, an alien with little alien babies, several little small ones in graduated sizes painted green to make an inch worm, a snowman, Santa pumpkin, the Statue of Liberty, a baby in a basket, a ghost pumpkin with material draped over it, a Rudoph the Red Nosed Pumpkin, Cinderella's coach, a football player with pipe cleaners for the face guard, Mike from Monster's Inc., cyclops, a cowboy pumpkin with a little hay bale and cowboy hat, and several variations of the standard jack o'lantern with the face painted or glued with construction paper. Once in a contest, we made a Garfield pumpkin which didn't take too much work since the pumpkin is already orange! Good luck in your contest.

6. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

Cute ideas, Teacherintexas!
    I have seen people turn the pumpkin on its side so the stem is actually a nose.

7. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Oct 26, 2005

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 26, 2005

I forgot about the Tin Man, Minnie Mouse, the werewolf, and the spider. I'm glad I'm not judging this contest. They are all cute.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2005

I used to do this with my 3rd graders- I would have them pick their favorite book character and decorate the pumpkin to resemble the character. It was lots of fun!

10. lanie750

lanie750 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005

Thank you so much for your ideas! I ended up decorating it as Pinocchio and it came out pretty cute. Although he is beginning to lose his hair (the paint started to peel). I will take a photo tomorrow and try to display it.