need to create emergency sub plans..

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by HufflePuff, Oct 12, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 12, 2008

i am having so much difficulty with this. i can't seem to find ANYTHING that i can give to a sub. in case of an emergency. any simple, but good ideas for lessons i can give a sub. to leave in my classroom in case their is an emergency?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2008

How about some arithmetic?

My 5th grade son is working on multiplication of 2 and 3 digits numbers. It would be easy enough to make up a sheet or two of practice on that.

I'm guessing that, since it's 5th grade, you need a whole slew of assignments, right?

Is there a short story you can run off and have them answer questions on?

I have no idea what standardized tests your kids take (or my son either for that matter. That meeting with the teachers was the night of my father in law's death.) But can you get a sample copy of one of the standardized tests they'll be taking as a review?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2008

I am pm-ing you my emergency sub plans- everything there is stuff the kids know already, review, or easy to do stuff that can be done any time of year. Also in my emergency sub folder are fire drill plans, health alerts (allergies, etc), special pull outs schedule, a list of kids who leave the room for resources (speech, sped, etc), classroom procedures (behavior mgt, bathroom, etc)...

5. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 12, 2008

WOW! thanks! this is so appreciated...

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 12, 2008

I make an emergency sub box. I run off class sets of copies of things that will be review. I also include some easy activities that don't require copies. Everything in the box is only for emergencies so it's not very often I have to replenish it.

7. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 13, 2008

i now have two days worth of plans....i just need one more math activity!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

I have a bunch of different review games in my emergency sub book. Maybe you could devise an appropriate game that the kids can run with just adult supervision that would be adaptable enough for any unit you happen to be on.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 13, 2008

Sudoku puzzles are a fun way for kids to review math without much instruction needed. I would let the kids do a few now and then as a fun math reward and leave a few copies in the sub plans for math lessons if you are out.

10. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I just have a folder with a bunch of worksheets for each subject incase the sub doesnt understand something. My lesson plan book is always on my desk, so my plans are always finished, but I know that if a new sub. comes in that doesnt know how I do Phonics or Math, then he/she may be confused. I also have all of my schedules in there, my behavior managment system, how my reading groups work, etc. Everything they should need to know is in there. I dont think principals expect the subs to be miracle workers so as long as you have activities for each subject you should be okay.

11. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I have a folder of already copied emergency sub plans/work that I keep in my filing cabinet, with an emergency sub letter in it. The sub letter details where my regular lesson plans are, where all my resources (if they want to copy) are, where my art supplies are, etc. I also leave them the school contact info (phone number and room number) of my grade level colleagues, who know where my students are and what we are studying, since we plan together regularly.

We are also required to keep a "split list", which splits up our class in the event that they are unable to get a sub for our classes.

12. JMUteacher

JMUteacher Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

I had one sub already this year and she said she wanted to teach 7th grade math so I felt comfortable that she would be able to come up with material if the kids finished with what I had left. Sadly, I was wrong. I just created my (and still in the process) of creating my material. I googled the standardized test practice that the kids will take. I found four sample tests but I feel like that on top of other fun easy math work (crossword puzzles, word search with vocabulary words) it'll take up the class periods!