need Tennis Balls

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by darkangel, Sep 30, 2006.

1. darkangel

darkangel Companion

Sep 30, 2006

My classroom ceiling is really tall which creates ECHOS!! I would like to copy an idea I've seen other teachers do. They put tennis balls on the legs of all the chairs. If anyone else does this I was wondering how they get all those tennis balls and any other suggestions to reduce noise level?

3. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Sep 30, 2006

Some teachers put them on their supply list. A teacher I know gets them from a country club. They are "used" but still do the job:) School supply stores also have them already cut, but it's probably cheaper to just get them from Wal-mart and cut them yourself. Something else that would work would be those felt sticky things that go on the bottoms of chairs - Lowe's and stores like that have them. They would cost less, but fall off sooner.

4. herins

herins Companion

Sep 30, 2006

I ask parents to send them in, and I mention that they can be new or gently used. The more expensive balls last much, much longer than the cheap dollar store balls, so getting them used from a tennis club is a great idea (if you can do it).

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 30, 2006

I got my tennis balls from a tennis club. In fact, I had a parent who knew someone who runs a tennis club. She eventually got tennis balls for evey classroom last year. I love the noise reduction and it does save the floors from wearing out and not having to put more sealing on the floor for the year.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2006

Try calling your local high school. Many have tennis teams and they might be able to help you out.

7. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

We put ours on our supply list, but didn't want to wait until the first of the year to cut them all and put them on, so we bought a lot of 150 off of ebay. They were relatively cheap, but the shipping added a considerable amount. You might also check with nursing homes ..... they use them on walkers and they sometimes have more than they need.

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 1, 2006

I bought mine on ebay. It cost around 12.00 for about 100 balls. I didn't bid on any unless I was able to pick them up locally because otherwise the shipping would have increased the price.

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

I've never seen tennis balls on chair legs! We have carpeted classrooms so chair noise is not an issue, but we also have 6 metre (20 feet) ceilings, so the echo can be unbearable in the empty room. My solution is to lower the ceiling - hooks and sturdy string, then bird netting strung to that. From this lower "ceiling" you can hang kids' work, posters, mobiles, etc - anything to buffer the noise, and it looks great.

Might be a good plan B if the balls don't eventuate?

10. rhassinger

rhassinger Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

Carpet remnants on the walls also help a great deal. If you can reach the ceiling, you can glue foam to it.