Need super quick advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Feb 14, 2014.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I've accidently had that happened when I first thought I would multi-quote then changed my mind. As I deleted the stuff I didn't want out, the wrong name was left behind. Never thought it was on purpose.

2. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 16, 2014

Maybe I missed it, but what did your union say?

(If I missed it, sorry)

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

No problem. I understand because I get really annoyed when people try to tell me I said something I know I did not say.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 16, 2014

Sorry, I do respect paras. :) I only said that because I was reacting to what I perceived to be an implication that it was more my responsibility than that of my paras. And yes, I not so secretly hold a little grudge that their salaries are not so different than my own yet their workload is far, far different. Not at all their fault, but still an issue for me. But that's a subject for another time.

When it comes down to it, I don't think any of us should have to stay past our contractual time for free.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 16, 2014

I agree that this makes sense. However, I tend to keep my mouth shut and put on a happy face rather than ask questions and make waves.

I believe they are the ones that told us to log in the times the bus comes and submit it as a complaint. Beyond that, I don't know. I didn't file a grievance, and again, I'm the "put on a happy face" person who doesn't complain.

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 16, 2014

I would not walk out, but would contact your union rep or the union president about the issue. Someone has to get clarification from your principal on the teachers' responsibilities regarding the monitoring of students whose buses arrive after contracted time.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 16, 2014

Wow, that is a tough decision! I ran into this type of thing several times last year. Two of my teammates were head union reps and they often wanted to "protest" things in various ways. I knew I wasn't coming back to the school this year anyway, but in my area a reference from your current principal is an absolute requirement to get another job. Several times I had to just explain to my teammates that I agreed with them and would support them on an emotional level, but I couldn't always participate in everything due to having to think about my career. My P was an extremely vindictive type of person. My teammates always understood even though they were disappointed. And in the end it worked out because I'm now at an awesome school!

I agree with others that you should personally contact your union rep and see what their advice is. They would know more about your specific district/principal.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2014

Just curious- were any of their protests successful?

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2014

Yes and no. They often got things they wanted, but it also resulted in the P being more aggressive and vindictive towards them. They are both "grandfathered in" to being tenured in the district, so she can't just outright fire them, but she did try to make their lives miserable. At one point, she even took lesson plans off of my hard drive, put them in my teammate's hard drive, and tried to accuse her of "stealing" them in my teammate's evaluation.

Some things they accomplished:
    -Teacher's contract day ended at 4:00. Kids were often hanging around past then because parents would not show up (no buses). Admin was trying to say teachers had to wait with the stragglers- they got it so that stragglers had to wait in the office as this was past teacher's contract time.
    -We had "data team" every day while our kids were in ESL class. There were a myriad of tasks/lists/paperwork we had to fill out for data team. However, our instructional coaches were constantly coming in to "talk" during this time, meaning we couldn't get any of the required work done. They got it so that if our data team time was taken, they had to extend deadlines or give us other opportunities to complete the paperwork.
    -Teachers were no longer required to turn in their cell phones to the office during state testing. If you're wondering why this was a big deal, admin was going through them.
    -Admin could no longer use "hearsay" from students in teacher's evaluations. For example, they were putting things in such as, "I asked a student in ms. ___________'s class and they said that she never explains data to them."

There are several more, but those are just some examples.

10. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 17, 2014

11. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 17, 2014

My paraprofessional works two other part time jobs in addition to trying to start a small business. Trust me, she doesn't work all of these jobs for fun or play money.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2014

I think that all of the teachers, should set up a schedule and take turns. My concern is that a walk-out would be walking out on the students. Rather than all walking out, what about all going to the School Board meeting and collectively complaining.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2014

That sort of sounds like how it is at my school just a little less extreme. But in order for things to change some people, tenured, usually have to put themselves out there and then they end up getting targeted by admins. They try to pressure others to join in, not really in protest, but to make claims to the union. They say it's anonymous but certain things they would definitely know where it came from. So as an untenured teacher I just stay out of it.

14. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Feb 18, 2014

I didn't have this happen on a daily basis (which would be maddening) but I did have it on almost every minimum day when we had teacher meetings. It meant that for the special ed. team, we had no lunch s we dealt with cranky and hungry kids at least twice a month.

Our union representative on our campus grieved this for us without our knowledge (we were both non-tenured teachers). The next time the bus didn't come, the principal ushered us off campus with orders to arrive at the teacher meeting a half hour late so we would have our full contract lunch. It was part of the campus culture for teachers to eat out together on those days before returning for meetings and we missed several of those lunches.

Had our union representative not grieved this formally, nothing would have been done. Transportation was always clueless about our minimum day schedule though a formal schedule was frequently provided.