Need suggestions for writing a cover letter.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MisterG, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Hi all,
    I hardly post on here anymore (actually, I think I've said that a few times, lol). But I've been out of teaching since the summer of 07. I've been driving truck since that fall. I had one job interview that fall and another one last fall. Only 2 districts in the area.

My question is that, Im trying to update my cover letter (worried about my references as they are all teaching related...and old). In it...Im really trying to make a decent sounding cover letter...but Im finding that hard to do because I've been out of the game for 2 years.
    Is there a way to write it so that it sounds good to potential employers? I would like to write down what I've been doing in the mean time...but:
    *its....just driving truck, lol.
    *its not teaching related and I haven't done anything in the past two years with kiddos.

Ideas, Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Hi Ryan, and welcome back!

First suggestion: if you're applying for jobs THIS fall, get a cover letter in the mail ASAP!!!! Hiring season is flying by!

Second: Why not post your rough draft, minus any Identifying info, here? Let us work with what you already have.

Third: You're not, by any stretch of the imagination, the only teacher who has ever left teaching for a while. My reason was my 3 kids-- yours may have been wanderlust. In any event, As long as you haven't spent time in a federal penitentary, it's not a huge deal. We'll find a way to make it into something you can use to your benefit.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

Corrections officer? :haha:

I agree with Alice--your reasons for leaving and returning teaching can give you an interesting hook that people will remember? Did you do long haul routes and see a lot of the country?

5. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Alice, thanks for the reply. Here is what I have so far...been working on it for a bit tonight...trying to get some ideas from the net...so its just a rough draft. Although the general jist of it is from previous cover letters I've sent out.

The two districts in the area have my application and all the goodies...one of which has taken it and placed it in their current file...I just need to update the cover letter. for now, lol.

I am writing to apply for a teaching position within xxxx. I am a graduate of xxxx. (other versions have "...for a teaching position within xx district which has been posted on the xxx website" However with this district...its not any particular position...simply any teaching opening they have)

I have experience teaching in Kindergarten and 4th grade as well as working as an In School Suspension supervisor. Over the past two years, I have been employed as a commercial truck driver in the mountain region. I am very eager to get back into the classroom and continue my teaching career.

My philosophy of education is to get students curious about the world around them and get them interested in learning how things work; exploring and learning by getting them involved in their education through hands on experience and activities that keep them engaged and on task. (just noticed this is a run-on, plus... doesn't sound as good as I thought it did....eek!)

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review my application. I am excited to see your opening and look forward to hearing from you regarding this position in the xxxx public school district. I can be reached at the above phone number or email address.

6. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

well my wife and I both worked in the same district and our contracts were not renewed. We moved west a couple of hours to a district where she has worked the past two years (going on 3). not really sure how to turn that into a positive, lol. Also not sure what they might get if they call my old district. I really wish I never worked there.

My current job just has me going to 3 states making deliveries and coming back at night...five days a week. It is fun for sure, but I miss teaching much more.