Need suggestions for finding a job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by snoopyjet6, Nov 29, 2012.

1. snoopyjet6

snoopyjet6 New Member

Nov 29, 2012

I graduated last December with a degree in K-6 Elementary Education with ESOL and Reading. My internship was in second grade. I've been subbing for almost a year, from high school to elementary. My interviews were at a job fair in my school district last May, but then budget cuts took over and 136 teachers were displaced. I'm now looking at another school district that is two hours away. Any suggestions on preparation for interviewing for a kindergarten position? I realize that I have no experience in kindergarten, but this district has several openings. Any ideas on interview questions that I might need to prepare for? I desperately want my own classroom to teach. I appreciate any help, suggestions or advice that you give. Thank you.

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

If you don't know an answer to one of their questions be honest about that. Do not try to make something up and don't panic.

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Dec 1, 2012

Do you have an interview for a K position? If you have just applied and don't have an interview yet, I would try subbing a few times in a K class.

Other than that, read a lot! I find it helpful to read books, teacher blogs, this forum, and even Pinterest (no, really!). Try to learn everything you can about beginning literacy and math.

5. Sincere

Sincere Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

Don't focus on not having ever been in a K classroom before. Instead, focus on strengths that apply to any age group, for example, your excellent classroom management techniques or flexibility in the classroom. Also, be sure your answers are student centered. Good luck with your interview!