Need Suggestions for Class Schedule/Management

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by preteach, Nov 2, 2012.

1. preteach

preteach Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

We are 2 months into our school year and I feel like things just aren't where I want them to be. Quite a few students are still having a hard time keeping hands to themselves, using walking feet ect.... I know this is normal behavior in 3's and 4's but I am wondering if I can tweak my schedule in some way to eliminate the chance for this to happen. I am hoping if I share my day you can help me find ways to improve as I know something needs to be different but I am just not sure what to change. Thanks in advance!!!

I have a half-day program and a class of 24 with myself and 2 aides....mostly 4's but a few 3's. Times are approximate.

8:15-8:25 Arrival....during this time children hang coats/bags and answer the question of the day. When finished we have them look at a book or work at the magnet or felt boards.

8:25-8:40 Circle Time.....may include brief calendar, show&tell, letter of the week or introduction of theme, fingerplays, nursery rhymes ect...

8:40-9:00 Bathroom and Small Group Rotation....Our bathroom is down the hall and we have to take the children in groups. While one group is using the bathroom, the others are doing table activities such as practicing writing their name, working on a puzzle as a group, playing a game, working with playdough ect..

9:00 - 9:10 Storytime

9:10-9:50 Small Group Centers....children are broken up into 3 groups and rotate through academic based hands-on centers based on our letter of the week or theme. These are guided by a teacher.

9:50-10:05 Handwashing and Snack

10:05-10:45 Free Choice Centers.....children can choose from our free play centers. Teachers interact with children, play with them, work one-on-one ect... (This part of the day gets very noisy and chaotic)

10:45-10:50 Clean-up (this is taking a long time....having a difficult time getting children to want to help clean up. All shelves are labeled with pictures for easy clean-up buy many just wander.)

10:50-11:05 Music and Movement.....songs, obstacle course, large group games (doggie doggie wheres your bone) ect....

11:05-11:15 Pack up to go home (coats, pack backpacks ect)

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 3, 2012

You never have outdoor or large motor time in your day?

4. preteach

preteach Rookie

Nov 4, 2012

At the end of the day when we do music/movement we do large motor activities. We do not have a playground so we don't go outside every day but do take walks or play outside sometimes when the weather is warm.

5. christine89

christine89 Companion

Nov 4, 2012

Idea for clean up - Can you award someone for being the most helpful cleaner or something like that? This could encourage some of them to participate in cleaning more. Also, sometimes playing a clean up song and encouraging everyone to finish by the time the song is done can help. I use a clean up robot song from youtube every day and it's amazing how quickly clean up gets done with the song playing! However a simple familiar song could work the same way. I don't do the best cleaner award thing but I've worked in a preschool that does.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2012

Imo, you have too many transitions for such a short day. Why not read the book in your first circle? Why 3 different small group times instead of 1 or 2? I always play a song during clean up and they are supposed to be done when the song ends - works well. You may need to move music and movement up in the middle of your day to get the wiggles out earlier. No playground time is a shame so dancing, exercising, etc are critical. Can you go for a walk sometimes? Where is art in your schedule?

7. preteach

preteach Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

Art is part of the small group rotation. We have 24 kids so we do 3 groups of 8 and they rotate to 3 different centers. We do do get up and moving activities throughout the day at circle times. We do 2 sets of small group because the first time is spent taking children to the batrhroom. It is not in our room and if we don't take them as a group we are constantly running one up the stairs throughout the day. Does anyone have a 3 hour schedule that works for them they can share?

8. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Nov 5, 2012

We are a four day a week 3.5 hour classroom.

8:15 Greet the children as they walk in, send them potty, and to carpet for opening activities (welcome, connecting songs) and then start Morning Meeting (calendar math, I Love You Rituals)

8:45 Breakfast/Brush Teeth, and clean up

9:05 Whole Group Story Time

9:20 Split Group 1 group goes with my aid and does math, 1 group with me doing handwriting without tears, and 1 group doing computers or floor puzzles) We see 1 group each day and do journal writing on the 4th day.

9:30 Outside (weather permitting-use the gym at 9:22 if not) -If I didn't have the gym I would do lots of singing and dancing here

10:00 Small Group Instruction (T,W,TH) 1 group with me, 1 group with my aid, and 1 group with the rescouse teacher. The groups are leveled and we each work with 1 group each day.

10:15 Free Choice Play

11:10 Music and Movement Gross Motor skills

11:15 Snack Time

11:25 Closing Meeting (often a game, song, or story and talking about what we did today)

11:45 AM Students go to bus/Greet PM children as they walk in, send them potty, and to carpet for connecting song

9. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Nov 5, 2012

Another tip to help move clean up along-especially since you have aids-as soon as 2 children have cleaned up their work or you have given them a little bit of time. Start you next song. This will often hurry your pokey cleaners along.

10. preteach

preteach Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

Thank you!

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 5, 2012

becky's schedule is the one I am more familiar with. Perhaps if you have limited outdoor access.....a strenuous music and movement bordering on aerobic activity could help....but even the half day is a long time for them to work without getting to be "free" to run and scream.