Need SpEd teacher to answer some questions for college assignment

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Apaasn, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Feb 12, 2014

Hi! I am a prospective general education teacher currently seeking a teaching credential. I am taking a class on teaching special needs students and my professor wants to me to talk to a special education teacher and learn about his/her students. I was wondering if anybody here can help me by answering some questions about their class. I have contacted two schools close to where I live but haven't heard from them yet and my deadline is by the end of this week.

Here are the questions, they are very basic. You can PM the answer too if you want.

How many students are there in your class? what are the disabilities they have?
    How many adults are there in the class?
    What is the environment of the class usually like?
    Do the students interact with each other?
    How do you instruct them? (one on one or group)
    What tools/assistive technology are there in your class?
    Are there English language learners? What strategies do you use for these students?
    Do you follow the common core standards?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2014

I would highly recommend doing an observation at an actual school. Are you subbing or doing fieldwork for your credential?

4. Apaasn

Apaasn Rookie

Feb 12, 2014

Yes I finally got a call from a principal. Going to meet the teacher tomorrow. I am doing field work for my credential, I am seeking a single subject credential in math, I am new here so I don't know special education teachers and somehow their email ID or contact information is not as easily available as the general Ed teachers on the web.With holidays coming up, most schools are closed, this site was my last desperate measure. :eek:

5. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Feb 15, 2014

How many students are there in your class? what are the disabilities they have?

I currently have 5 students. They have learning disabilities and some emotional disturbances.

How many adults are there in the class?
    There are usually 2, but not always.

What is the environment of the class usually like?
    It changes from day to day, but the most part things are calm. However, things can go from peaceful to crazy if one of the students has an outburst.

Do the students interact with each other?
    Yes

How do you instruct them? (one on one or group)
    Both

What tools/assistive technology are there in your class?
    Computers

Are there English language learners? What strategies do you use for these students?
    No

Do you follow the common core standards?
    No

6. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Feb 15, 2014

How many students are there in your class? 14
    what are the disabilities they have? specific learning disability, speech, autism spectrum, intellectual disability
    How many adults are there in the class? 2- myself and aide
    What is the environment of the class usually like? active small groups
    Do the students interact with each other? yes
    How do you instruct them? (one on one or group) whole group and small group rotations
    What tools/assistive technology are there in your class? computers, overhead
    Are there English language learners? What strategies do you use for these students? More than 50 percent. Visual supports, repetition, SDAIE strategies, technology- appropriate for all special education students
    Do you follow the common core standards? Attempting to- a major challenge due to gap in achievement levels.