Need something fun for Social Studies this month?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by HannahB2, Feb 2, 2007.

1. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Feb 2, 2007

I put together a fun little WEBquest for my kids to do on a Friday this month in Social Studies, it has to do with Black History Month. It is targeted for 5th and 6th graders. Let me know by posting or PMimg me if you'd like me to send it to you!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

I did a neat project with my kids. You could easily do it as a Webquest. We studied the Civil Rights movement through pictures and discussion. I have a great book of photos by photographer Charles Moore who documented the era. Then we studied MLK, Jr. I gave them packets with various worksheets. They had homework each night (worksheets), assignments we did in class involved writing (summaries of articles, reports on facts, opinion essays, thoughts about what MLK would do if he were alive today, and research questions).

Next we studied the life of Benjamin Banneker. I read Dear Benjamin Banneker by A. Pinkney. I distributed information cards on B. B. and they did several jigsaw activities, reporting to the group on their particular cards, then exchanging cards and reporting again.

Finally, we completed a Venn diagram to compare the lives of BB and MLK on the board as a group. Then, they each made their own Venn diagrams from three different colors of paper.

I posted essays and the Venn diagrams on the bulletin board along with a poster from Teaching Tolerance about seeing the world through the eyes of others. We spent about two weeks.

In this past Sunday's paper, there was an article about some of the original freedom riders who recreated their bus rides. It really made the point that these were/are real people, some of whom are still living, and that the movement took place not in some other century but within their parents' lifetimes. I read the article and we discussed whether or not discrimination still exists today.

It was the most successful coverage of this period of history that I've done yet.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

Can you post a link here?

5. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Feb 3, 2007

I would love to have a link!

Thanks!

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 3, 2007

This sounds fantastic! Id' like the link too.

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 3, 2007

I'd like it too, please!

8. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Feb 3, 2007

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 3, 2007

I just glanced through it, but it looks great! I would like to print out the webquest and use it with my kids if you don't mind.

10. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Feb 3, 2007

That's what I provided it for! Let me know how it goes!

11. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Feb 7, 2007