Need some thoughts

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kpa1b2, Jun 23, 2013.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 23, 2013

I've been asked submit a proposal for an early childhood conference. I've presented there before, but this time they are asking for something different. I'm stuck. I've been doing the same presentation for a couple of years. This conference is attended by mostly preschool teachers, along with toddler/infant teachers. Maybe kindergarten teachers.

So, I need some ideas. My focus will be literacy. I've already done Family Literacy Bags.

I've thought about Mentor Texts, but I don't know if this would be appropriate for this audience.

I've thought about doing something with building literacy skills, but I don't know what direction to take on it. Games to make out of household supplies? Building literacy with books? songs? (I really don't want to sing in front of adults). Getting families involved in literacy?

If you were going to a conference what would you like to learn about?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2013

Literacy centers

Integrating art with literacy

Emergent literacy

Circle time ideas integrating language and literacy

Poetry

Writing workshop ideas

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2013

I will post some ideas later on,'cause I have to run an errand.
    One that comes to mind right now. Have parents do this with their children...
    -Look around at home for food boxes with words on them.
    -Have the children cut out the words and glue them on paper.
    -Go over the words they picked, sound them out, and even make silly songs with them about the words.
    - Have the children do it at their own pace.
    -Never force the children to do it, but try to lead them into it.
    MAKE IT FUN!
    A lot of teachers and parents forget to make learning fun, so the children are bored to death!:(
    The stuff that I tend to recall very well are the ones I had a LOT of FUN while doing them! :cool:
    More later.....
    Rebel1

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 23, 2013

Two of my favorites were presented by the same duo :)

One was on station management in early childhood with several different systems - limited stations that they had to go to, free stations with have-to stations, and how to hold the kids accountable. Then they had a ton of ideas for stations and changing them (station A is great for the first month, then change it to B as their skills progress) or, if your class loves this station, add this station too.

The other one I loved was sharing a big unit. The one I saw was on Cowboys/Texas, which is a huge unit here, so I would think of something that is unique to your area that can be harder to find resources for. They did mini lesson demos, had tons of books, related activities for everything from interactive writing, stations, science, etc... It was nice because there aren't as many books and resources as their are for say community helpers. They also only ran off a few of the things they presented and then e-mailed more stuff to everyone who signed up (so they didn't have to run so much stuff).

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013

Are you a Common Core state? What about out explaining it and talking about how it affects preschool?

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 23, 2013

I don't feel confident enough with Common Core to present on it. Although I think that would be an excellent topic.

Then I went to thinking about what the kiddos need to know or should know when the come to Kinder.

I also like the Literacy Centers/Stations ideas, integrating arts with literacy and the looking for words ideas.

I love the big unit idea also.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. . . .

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 25, 2013

What about creating a "print rich environment". It's something you can easily differentiate for infant, toddler, and preschool teachers, and I always love hearing how different teachers incorporate literacy concepts into the classroom. You could also talk about the ELLCO as an assessment tool for preschool classrooms to use.