Need some Social Studies "Night at the Museum" ideas

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by inspire.teach, Oct 25, 2011.

1. inspire.teach

inspire.teach New Member

Oct 25, 2011

The Social Studies teachers in 6th grade are putting on a "Night at the Museum" where kiddos share what they have learned about Egypt with a 3d model and a report. We, as Language Arts teachers, have been asked to join them for a Social Studies/Language Arts night.

I cannot pinpoint a great idea for the kids to display, since the Social Studies teachers are already having them write a paper. I'm torn in a few directions. One idea is having them do something Egyptian (poetry, etc?) and another idea is to have them show the four types of writing (persuasive, technical, narrative, expository) all on one subject. I was thinking their subject could be one of the characters from the MOVIE Night at the Museum, such as the dinosar, Sacajewa (sp), etc. So they could write a letter persuading them to let them go because they will be valuable in society, expos about them, etc.

What do you think about this idea? Or, do you have any ideas for something better? I am stuck! Egypt night always turns out very well, so I wanted to make sure that our half was up to par.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 25, 2011

I got this idea from someone here (can't remember who posted this first), but how about each student choosing a character from the movie and writing the "I Am" poem. You can make it interactive by making sure the students don't mention any names in the poem, and having your guests try to guess who each poem it about.

Here's the template for the poem

http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/lesson_images/lesson391/I-am-poem.pdf

Good luck . . . . sounds like a really fun night

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 25, 2011

Or you could have your students create Word Clouds for characters from the movies. My students LOVE doing this, especially my AP students.

Here's the site

http://www.wordle.net/