Need some printable math games in grades 3-5? I made something for you!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

Need some printable math games in grades 3-5 for Math Workshop? I made something!

(NOTE: New links are posted throughout this thread, in the middle, the end, everywhere. As I add or discover more resources, I will post more.)

http://www.teachingvision.org/mathjourney/mathgamefile1.pdf

It's Algebraic!: Original game I created. Reviews algebraic expressions.

Pig Addition and Pig Multiplication rules printed out, kid-ready: Obviously, not a game of my own. I used it before visiting the Marilyn Burns site that had the directions. This is printed nicely for centers, though.

Array Mania
    : Game I found online, but I created the cards. The original game called for cuisenaire rods. I also gave the game a neat name.

Spelling Math
    : Something I have done for five years, but here is a nice handy sheet for you. I believe I found the idea in a Scholastic book about fun ways to study spelling words.

Home on the Range! Not my game. Now made printer-friendly for you, though.

Tenths, Hundredths, Thousandths: The two variation games are 100% original from me, but the manipulative wheels come from the North Carolina website.

Matching or Concentration Games: From the same website as Home on the Range, but made more printer-friendly for you to use.

Hope you like this collection! In the next collection, I am going to try for all original games. I also need to remember where the two games came from for crediting them. :cool:

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Thanks for sharing!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

I am going to be sharing another neat idea in just a few moments!! Thanks. I am on a roll this evening. :)

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

These are FANTASTIC!

I am going to be a newbie in 3rd grade next year so this REALLY helps.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

Thanks, Victoria! Love them! And thanks for sharing!:)

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

I love that addition game, Pig; I am going to try that one out on Mon. in my summer program. Thanks for sharing!

8. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

I can adapt these games for my younger students. This is very valuable, thank you so much for sharing these!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

Sure, things can definitely be adapted. For a few I saw online, I adapted them to be more advanced. Of course, anyone can take out the Pi sign in the algebraic expression game. ;)

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

Thank you so much for the wonderful resources!

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

VICTORIA,

You are absolutely AWESOME!!!!! Where did you find this website? Your ideas are phenomenal (I was just about to Message you and ask what else you had that might work for 3rd grade centers) and then you come up with this jewel of a website. I think you just might have solved my issue (how was I going to do 70-80 minutes of centers a day under our new 90 minute math workshop format). I can see placing several of these ideas and the terrific ones that you have already provided us with into a center and them possibly staying occupied for their full rotation (I am going to be running 4 different centers at least - teacher, computer/electronic math games, review skills, current skill practice for 15 to 20 minutes each) Students will rotate through each center each day so you can see how I was panicking about having enough for them to do. They will choose a different activity each day. Do you think this will work?

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

I found the website, oddly, by searching for .pdf fraction circles. I was getting an idea from a game on AIMS and thought maybe I could find fraction circles of my own. Yay! I did.

My centers are similar to yours, basically. Teacher, computer, the manipulatives/games, and practice/brain teasers. 25 minutes in each center a day, twice a week. Basically, the class will be in four groups: the average (since I am advanced, there are those who are more so average in math), high average, very high, and pull-your-teeth-out enrichment, where I will literally pick at their brains with a toothpick. Just kidding... but basically, I mean the extremely high group. I will not call them by these names, though; they may have planet names or animal group names or something. Perhaps something related to Florida state symbols.

I think your idea works great! I think I may assign an activity more than have them pick, though. I am soon going to decide which activities best fit each group, whether I have super challenges or more average materials to review something. Of course, there will be some moving of groups, as needed, if 5 kids are struggling with something and they come from different groups.

By the way, if you haven't seen Kids R Kings Katering, it's pretty fabulous. :) Lots of real-life applications!!

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

WOW!!! I LOVE those games!

I will also be trying the Pig game with my summer group tomorrow and can even use it for my middle grade students (when I get my own class).

One of my biggest pet peeves during my ST was how dependent students have become on calculators and I have been looking for ways to make them practice mental math. I will definitely be using Pig Multiplication for that.

I also like It's Algebraic. Great idea for a game!!!! :thumb:

17. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

GREAT!!!

18. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

Thanks Victoria!!!! I am hoping to do Math Workshop this year...still working on the planning of it, and was looking for some games to have be one of the centers!!!

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2010

You know you're my rock star V!

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

Victoria,

I would prefer to only do centers 3 days a week but that's not an option, we were told we would do workshop every day. It's not all bad though because I basically only have to teach until 11:45 every day (after that they have recess, lunch, specials). I think I'm going to take your advice and assign certain centers that have to be done and then have other things available for "if you finish" activities.
    Now if you just had this many ideas for Reader's Workshop too I'd be totally ready for August 6th (the day kids come).

How much time do you spend "going over center rules" with your class? I spent almost two weeks last year and they still acted awful sometimes last year. My boys were so immature that it was almost impossible to get them to work on anything that they didn't have my undivided attention. Thank goodness I had 14 girls and only 11 boys (and 4 of those could follow directions).

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2010

Have you visited FCRR for reading centers, Melissa? I promise I have loads of reading resources, too... though I've done those centers before and never the math centers. :)

LOL regarding the boys... I believe every teacher has been there! I believe this year I am going to have a system where groups earn or lose points together. Try to get parents in for centers, too, if possible... I may just have that this year. :)

23. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

Yes, Victoria I have put together some of the fcrr centers, was just wondering if you had any other gems that had worked with your kids. If my group is as varied ability as they were last year I will have everything from 2 levels below grade level to 3 levels above. I just finished up my gifted endorsement at the beginning of summer break and had hoped to have a more advanced group but I don't know that my principal will do that (she likes mixed groups). If she won't I am going to hope that I get a large ELL pod then (I had 9 last year and they were awesome - I have my ELL endorsement also).

Thanks again Victoria for all of the wonderful sites. I feel much better than I did earlier.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2010

I have purchased some resources from Lakeshore over time that works for the reading and the math. There is this journaling box that is awesome... content writing prompts that includes math. Besides that, I use magazines and non-fiction in reading centers quite a bit. Let me see what is in my classroom regarding everything when I come back... my mind is drawing some blanks right now. Hopefully I'll be in this week.

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2010