Need Some New Teacher Stories

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Anjuba, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

Hi everyone!
    I am a substitute teacher working on my M.Ed. For the class I am in now, my partner Trish and I are working on a presentation about the first year of teaching. We would like to use some quotes from those who have been there. Evern if it is not the first year we would like stories--good and bad. This is not meant to scare our classmates, but rather to show them that others have been there. We won't use names, just some quotes. Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Andrea

3. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 15, 2009

Quotes about what exactly? I guess if I had to come up with something that struck me was that "I thought I had seen it all and heard it all from subbing and student teaching. I had seen and heard NOTHING until I had my first class."

4. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Teaching is a job that you learn as you go. You have very limited experience that was gained in a very structured environment. There is a huge sense of panic when the bell rings, you close the door, and turn to face 25 students who think you know everything. I spent my first year planning, preparing, and asking questions. The time flew by so fast and before I knew it the year was over. The following year was so much better and I felt like I was becoming a "real teacher". At the end of the year I gave my students a survey- What they liked about my class- projects, activities, etc. They were told not to write their name because I wanted them to answer the questions without reservations. One student wrote "I did not do well in the class but I liked the fact that my teacher never gave up on me." That one sentence made me realize that I was a teacher not only in the eyes of my students but in my own.