Need some neighborly advice...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsCheerio, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

We're desperately trying to sell our house in this saturated market because my husband is being relocated. We've had a couple of showings and have heard through the realtors that people are hesitant because of our neighbors. We live in a new development with TINY yards, so the view from our bedroom window shows off the backyards of 5 houses. The one directly behind us is the worst- she doesn't take care of her yard at all. When she mows the lawn, she leaves all the clippings on the ground and her plants are growing out of control. They all need some major pruning. Also, she leaves her backdoor completely open while she's at work, so her dogs runs in and out all day. He barks a lot, which sets off a chain reaction with the house that has FOUR dogs next door to her. Yeah, four dogs in a yard as big as my closet (I don't hate dogs. We have a dog. We're just responsible pet owners who quiets our dog when he barks and immediately brings him inside if he's being a nuisance).

What do I do? I don't really know her. Do I approach her nicely? Do I contact the HOA? I really need my home to sell, or I'll face my husband flying back and forth weekly until it does. The company will only foot that bill for a while, then it will be on our shoulders...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Contact the HOA about regulations regarding yard upkeep and pets. 4 dogs seems like a lot in such a community.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

Build a tall fence.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 23, 2009

I agree-- build a tall fence. Get your husband and some other guys together to build it one weekend. You should make your money back too.

Contact the HOA too. Maybe that will keep her yippy dogs inside when people are walking through your house. I know I would take yippy neighbor dogs into consideration if I were looking at houses-- even if they were on the other side of a fence.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

If you could get the guts up, I think it would be worth it to approach her and say the Boy Scouts (or some legitimate group) are looking for neighborhood projects and would she like some help clearing out her backyard?

Actually, I think it would be worth it to get a group of somone together who can be discreet, use them in your back yard to plant some stuff, then tell her what a great job they did and they are looking for some service hours. If she jumps on it, pay the guys some money to clear out the neighbor's backyard. That is what I would do if I could figure out how to do it discreetly and let her save face. To me, it would be worth a couple hundred bucks donated to a group to get the house sold! Plus, sometimes boy scouts are indeed looking for community projects. You never know - this lady could have some good reason for not being able to keep up the yard - lack of funds, physical limitations, depression, whatever. Good luck.

HOA might be able to solve the problem for you though. Either way, once it gets cleaned up take her a plate of cookies or something!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

PS - I would go to the butcher seriously, and ask for some big bones and just before the people come over, throw the bones in the backyard to keep the dogs shut up!!

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2009

bonneb--a great idea!!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

I wouldn't do that with out permission. My sister's dog is not allowed to eat bones like that. She gets very possessive and will bite if you go near her when she has one, so she doesn't get them anymore.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

Honestly- approach the neighbor with the lawn issues. I will freely admit my lawn often looks similar. I try to mow often enough so that the grass will not clump and when it does I pick it up the best I can. The problem is is that I am allergic to grass and handling the freshly cut grass will make my eyes swell up and I can't breathe for at least a week. While mowing, I take medication and wear a mask and it is tolerable. But touching it makes me a WHOLE LOT worse!
    My neighbors probably gripe about me, but none have said it to my face. If they do, I will kindly tell them I will try to do better and explain my situation.
    I wish I could afford to pay someone to mow it for me, but unfortunately, I can not.

11. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

I think I might just have to approach her, like you've suggested. We're just so desperate to sell and this seems to be a big part of why people aren't considering our house. Honestly, if we had known what surrounded us, we wouldn't have moved in either...

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

I agree with fencing it in.
    A brand new fence will look better than anything she could do to her lawn to make it presentable for you.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

You could also offer to mow it for her. Like the poster said, sometimes allergies make it difficult to mow and maybe she doesn't have enough money to deal with it.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 25, 2009

Sue, I will give you a million dollars for that puppy!

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

Aww, thanks:) She is sleeping on my stomach right now, snoring away:)

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 25, 2009

My grandson only charges $3 for a small lawn. He is only 9 and doesn't know the real value of money.