Need Some Inspiration!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teachingtots, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

The past four years, I have taught at a charter school in Detroit. I recently went through several interviews in a great district and found out I got the job! I'm really excited for many reasons, including the fact that I will no longer have to worry about gunshots outside my school!!

But...I will be going into my fifth year of teaching and I'm realizing that I am BURNT OUT. The thought of unpacking all my teaching boxes and setting up a new room for the third time already has me exhausted. Hopefully having this summer break will help...

I will be switching from kindergarten to first grade. While I know that is not a huge leap, it is still an adjustment. I have so thankful about this new job, but how do I get my mind back into "school mode" so I can use the summer productively. I'm hoping that being in this new district will not be sooo stressful, like my last school. Maybe that will help me feel refreshed?

Any inspiring words about first grade or teaching in general would be appreciated! Thanks!!

3. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jul 12, 2012

Hm.. I'm not sure that I have much for words of wisdom. However, I watched a documentary the other night that was available on Instant Netflix called "American Teacher." While a lot of it was about the struggles that teachers have (financial and otherwise), it reminded me of why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place. One of the teachers on there happened to be a first grade teacher and I found her to be particularly inspiring just because of her dedication to teaching. If the documentary is available to you, I'd recommend checking it out.
    Although this will only be my second year, I'd be pretty excited about setting up a new room.
    It could help to go on pinterest and find really fun ideas or ways of organizing your new classroom.
    Also, keep that hope alive that things won't be as stressful and that this new district could be the breath of fresh air you need.
    Good luck! Have fun!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Congrats on your new job!!! I will have to add you to our jobs list :)

As for burn out from moving, I can relate...while I've been at the same school for the past 8 years, I've moved classrooms 4 times and have taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and basic skills in that time...not to mention teaching K at a school before that. :)

I would make a list of things you need/want to get done. You can make a long list, but then make a daily short list of 3-4 things you can/need to accomplish. Maybe ask some friends to come help you unpack or set up and treat them to lunch (I do this annually in the summer with my dad!). Good luck...you can do it!! :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Congrats on the new job!

Best motivation, start checking out pinterest and teacher blogs/websites. They always make me want to get ready for my new class.

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

I would give yourself some non school time first! I had a doozy of a year and just couldn't think about school for the first month of summer. After we got back from a relaxing vacation, I started to get excited about the new school year! Maybe set some small goals for yourself along the summer until you really need to get into gear!

Although it's a pain to unpack, it's always nice to have a clean slate. I think the beginning of the school year is my favorite because they're fresh and excited!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Congrats on the new job. My suggestion is to take time for yourself! Can you even get into your new room yet? In my local district teachers don't set foot in the buildings until whatever day the contract states. The only exception to that that I've seen is a couple of the high school teachers. Otherwise, the parking lots are empty except for custodial staff.

After you've relaxed, then try to contact the members of your team & see what your building does.

Good luck!

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 13, 2012

Congratulations on your new job:)

I agree with christine 69: Watching movies with teachers as main topic would give me back my motivation anytime!
    There's a "Sister Act" movie where she teaches at a high school,
    there are several movies about teachers making it at inner city high schools (can't remember the titles though) and that movie with Robbie Williams where he teaches them "carpe diem" -maybe the movie was called "seize the day"? Can't remember that title either. And even "Kindergarten Cop".

Make a summer bucket list and try to do everything on it!

Go hiking to a mountain top! It gives you a feeling of being able to do anything :)

Relax and read a good book.

Trip to the spa?

Try to completely forget about school for a couple of weeks.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

The Robin Willams movie is "Dead Poets Society"...great movie, but sad...suicide, fired teacher:(

Teachingtots...you said in your post that you are excited about this new job...it's a new beginning in a safe school..it's a new and exciting opportunity.
    Unpacking boxes is NOT fun...do you have a creative friend who could come help you? Get inspired by classroom design photos and projects on Pinterest...we've had several discussions lately of the classroom crafting projects members here are doing.:)
    This is going to be a great move for you...dig down, get the room unpacked and know that you are in the right spot.:love:

10. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks for all your comments. I like the idea of getting on Pinterest to get some ideas and inspiration. I think many of you are right, I just need to enjoy some downtime during summer before getting back into "teacher mode". I really am excited about the job and just need to focus on that! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

Congrats on the new job! Take a couple of weeks for yourself and then visit the new school. Walking around the halls and peaking into the classes to see what they have up would make me excited for the school year and motivate me to want to set up my class.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 14, 2012

One thing I love doing in the summer is finding new ideas. Go an Amazon or to a bookstore & find some books on your subject area.

Also, make the unpacking as fun as possible. Bring your ipod & turn it up. (Just think you won't have to tune out the gunshots anymore!) :p Treat yourself & pick up delicious Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts on the way into school. :D