Need some ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

Yesterday, my mom completed the sale of the house I grew up in. Mom lived there for 47 years, and I lived there until I got married at age 30.

It was absolutely the right move. Mom turns 80 in October, and a 4 bedroom Colonial with an attic and a basement, with a lawn to water and snow to deal with, was simply too much. She found a wonderful Garden Apartment about a mile away and is happy as a clam.

She was generous enough to write each of her kids a check for $1,000.

Silly as it seems, I was upset last night-- many of my memories of my late dad are in that house.

Anyway, the bulk of the money mom gave me is going into our savings account--we're really trying to build it up.

But I would like to get a little memento of some sort, I don't know what.

I was thinking maybe a Lenox Christmas ornament or... I don't know. I'm not sure exactly what it is I want to commemorate or signify, I just know that this wasn't just another birthday or Christmas gift. It was something more important to me.

Can anyone figure out what I mean and offer a suggestion?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

In September I sold the condo where my mom and I lived until she passed away. In November I bought a house with my fiance now husband. He suggested that we plant a tree or some type of flowering bush in memory of my mom. We haven't gotten around to it yet but hopefully we will.

Could you do something like this?

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 17, 2010

Do you have a picture of the house? Maybe an ornament that has a little picture frame?

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2010

That's great that your mom's happy!

Well, if you're thinking along those lines of something to display so you always remember those memories when you look at it, how about a crystal figurine piece? I collect crystal figurine pieces. The brands Baccarat, Waterford, & Swarovski are very nice (& not that cheap)! I have a few pieces of each.

http://www.baccarat-us.com/en.US/index.htm

http://waterford.com/index.asp

http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/index

OR perhaps how about a great piece of jewelry that you'll always wear? Maybe a nice timpiece? My aunt left me a Movado watch when she passed, which I had engraved. I'm almost too afraid to wear it because I don't want to accidentally scratch it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

A few years ago, my sister and I commissioned an artist to paint a picture of Mom and Dad's house. We supplied her with a few pictures taken from various angles and she did the rest. It turned out absolutely beautifully and is hanging in Mom's front hall.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

When my father-in-law died and we were cleaning out the house I wanted something too. What I ended up with was the doorjam to the kitchen where they had pencil marked all the kids' heights and the dates. I couldn't stand the thought of that just being painted over by the new people. We took it out and replaced the frame. When my parents sold the house I grew up in I took the mirror from the bathroom. I could always see my father standing there shaving.

Since you grew up in that house, could you do something like that?

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

My aunt did watercolors of all of our family members houses. It is such a great idea and I know we all cherish the paintings. I have the painting of the house that I grew up in and it is the same house where my mom and grandmother grew up too.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 17, 2010

I love the idea of a photo or painting of the house, or a replica of a house that reminds you of it. Something to keep out year round that's a reminder of it just sounds perfect.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2010

When my aunt (who was the closest thing to a mother I had) passed away a couple of years ago, I chose a few knick knacks from her house that evoked memories of the wonderful times I spent with her. I can now display them in my hose and every time I look at them, I think of her.

13. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Sounds like you're leaning towards a Christmas ornament idea. If you have lots of pictures, maybe think about making multiple copies of your favorite and have your kids create ornaments around them. You and your family members can have keepsakes of the house and your children's artwork. You can hang them on the tree or on a wall if you'd like to enjoy them all year long.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 17, 2010

My Aunt had this done when we pulled down the barn at my Grandparents home. That barn was a popular play spot for the kids and grandkids and great-grandkids. My aunt had one painted for all of her sisters. They were wonderful...I have asked for one of them to leave me theirs in the wills. Another idea is take some pictures and have them made into a quilt. A friend did this for her parents 50th wedding anniv. She had old pictures copied in black and white. They were then lasored onto fabric and a lady at the senior center sewed and quilted it for her. It was lovely. The center was a wedding photo of them and the bottom corner was an embroideried piece with their wedding information.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

Are there any plantings at the house you could go dig up? (Maybe not since the house is sold already...) My parents have a GREAT hydrangea in their yard that I have taken clippings from and started new plants for my yard.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

Oh, I have a black thumb; I count myself lucky my children have survived :)

Besides, mom sold it yesterday morning and the new family arrived there last night; it's no longer mom's property.

17. who me

who me Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

What about creating a photo book for yourself and siblings by gathering all the pictures of your special memories in the house. I did something like this last year and with the older pics (not digital) I took digital pictures of them. I've used Shutterfly but there are many places that do that.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it worked for my family. When we cleared out my mom's house of 30 years, I found 3 drawers of recipes. I took the ones I remembered and created a family cook book. I make comments on many of the recipes--like "this is the stuffing Mom made every Thanksgiving." Since my husband is a printer, he printed them and made them look very professional.

I have shared the book with close friends as well, and most want a copy.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

I wish I knew what they were called, but you know those flat house or building figurines? Sometimes churches or other groups sell them as fundraisers and you can put them up on a shelf or on the door jam or window sill. Like this kind of thing... http://www.christmastreehill.com/catsmeowhouses.html

I wonder if you could get them made of your house. That could be really neat.

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I love the quilt idea and then maybe you can hang it on a wall.

21. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Could you make some calendars (at vistaprint of course) with a pic of the house and maybe an ornament too? Walmart's photo dept makes ornaments with pics. You could put the year your parents moved there on it.