Need some ideas - please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ranchwife, May 22, 2012.

1. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 22, 2012

I'm teaching a STEM class next year and am getting my lesson plans in order. I did a trial run with my 8th grade classes the last few weeks of school this year and I've learned that I need to teach the kids how to write out a procedure. Their 6th grade ELA teacher had them write out how to make a PB&J sandwich, which I would totally use, but it is a repeat for the kids. I'm having a mental block coming up with a simple everyday prodecure that all kids would know how to do to have them write a detailed procedure about. Can someone give me some ideas about what I could have the class write a procedure on? Thanks in advance - I greatly appreciate it!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

I was focusing on transition words during a unit this year and used making a sandwhich and then giving a new student directions on how to get to the office. I don't know if the directions would work for your needs or not...

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

Brushing your teeth, getting dressed (especially in winter), sending a text, opening a document on the computer

5. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 22, 2012

Great ideas - keep them coming!!

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 22, 2012

In my speech class, I make them fold paper airplanes first (to make sure they can follow directions). Then I have them write directions for a turkey sub, and I try to make it in front of the class (it's a bit more complicated than a PB&J... extra fun).

Then they come up with their own to do as a demonstrative speech... sandwiches are the most popular, but I get a lot of tying a tie, french braiding hair, making a bowl of cereal, tying shoes laces, different origami, how to draw a face, how to organize a book bag, how to use the school planner, etc.

I did have one kid who wanted to bring his dog to school and teach the class how to bathe a dog :lol: Sadly, I said no.

7. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 22, 2012

Oh, I like the "making a turkey sandwich." That one would require quantities.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2012

Will everyone be okay with the turkey, Ranchwife?

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 22, 2012

During the electricity unit I teach, the students get to build different circuits and things using "snap circuits". While we're discussing how we should build whatever it is that we are working on, I'll place all the pieces and the board under my ELMO (document camera) and have the students try to tell me how to put it together.

What is great is that I play "dumb" and unless they tell me literally every little detail about how to put a piece to another piece, they'll mess up. Some students get incredibly frustrated by this process ( :) ) but we then discuss what we learned from it: how we need to describe steps, how the person who is reading the procedure must understand each step, etc. It also helps the kiddos to see what I go through when I read over their procedures.

Doing this activity has really worked for my classes. :)

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 22, 2012

Have kids draw three simple geometric shapes on a sheet of paper, then have them write out directions for how to duplicate the drawing. You could let them use rulers or compasses for more precision. Then redistribute the directions and see if others can reproduce the original drawing. It's fun to compare the originals and the duplicate attempts at the end.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 22, 2012

Oooh, yes, check. I had a kid once who couldn't have bread... I made him a separate turkey roll-up (I buy the subs at the grocery store, have them put everything on the side, then do it up in class, and the kids each get a slice after I'm done).