Need some ideas! Kindergarten level.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2016

The way our schedule is we come in at 8:00 and then we go to gym at 8:30. We have announcements/pledge some where in there not ever at the same time. Plus we have all kinds of stragglers coming in so it is really really hard to teach at this point in the day. This past year I used learning videos and actually letting the kids talk to build language skills. I usually led the conversation so it did have some meaning and we would work on oral language skills and vocabulary. Something our kids desperately need. This year though I want to incorporate some other ideas. Not sure what so I am asking for help. Any ideas would be welcomed. So bring on the ideas.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 20, 2016

One of the k teachers I work with uses that time for book exchange and "independent reading". So students swap out home reading books and then they spend the rest of the time perusing the book bins, reading with a partner or browsing a book by themselves. At this point in the year, they are able to do this for about 20-25 minutes.

4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 20, 2016

When I student taught in kindergarten, we had morning meeting. We had a morning message, sang songs, recited poems, went over names and sight words, practiced rhyming, and if time permitted students used individual white boards to practice their names, letters, and/or numbers.
    Something else students could do during this time is centers. We had a number puzzle table, letter matching and activity table, writing center, reading independently or with a friend, large floor puzzles, etc.

5. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

I student taught in kindergarten recently as well. We usually started the morning with reading/unfinished work and had videos on promethium board. The videos were educational of course, but were ones they were familiar with; vowel songs, silent e, blends, etc. she would play them until announcements (which for us was around the same time) then we would start morning meeting (calendar, sight words, attendance, any other skills we were working on)

6. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 21, 2016

I made a power point with the alphabet and sight words. I plan on playing this for students as they come in. Students say the letter and sound and then the sight words in the 15 minutes we have between coming in and our first restroom break.

7. WonderfulLife

WonderfulLife New Member

Nov 18, 2016

I love singing nursery rhymes with kids together, the children enjoyed and me too! It's an interactive way for learning. Nursery rhymes examples: Nursery Rhymes by Luke & Mary.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2016

When I student taught we would put different items at different tables ( 4 kids at tables...this is how they sat). It was like free play with manipulatives. They loved it. They could talk, but still do puzzles, pattern bears, coloring, etc. When I taught first we had a morning worksheet that they could di on their own. I didn't mind a "dull roar". it was review or something seasonal that we would hang up on bulletin board.

9. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Nov 19, 2016

I have a dot-to-dot (using numerals or letters) sitting at each seat and my Kinders come in, put their stuff away in their cubbies, put their folder in the basket and sit down and do the dot-to-dot. It helps them transition into the school day, and it gives the stragglers a set routine to jump into without a lot of prompting from me. I can do attendance, make the milk order, etc. while they are working.