Need some ideas for a Fairytale Unit and a Folktale unit

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jill420791, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Oct 7, 2006

Hi, I need some ideas for a Fairytale unit and a Folktale unit. This is for a second grade class. If anyone has any ideas or materials they would be willing to share I would apperciate it! Thanks- Jill:)

3. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

What about fractured fairytales and fractured folktales? You would find multiple varieties of well known stories, read them to your kids, talk about similarities and differences, and they would write their own version. It's a lot of fun, and a great way to make writing fun. There are all different kinds of Cinderella stories from all over the world. You could do the Three Little Pigs versions. There are the Goldilocks and the Three Bears stories... Let me know if you need more ideas!

4. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Oct 7, 2006

Thats a good idea and funny you should say that i was just reading for fairytales comparing the three little pigs with the true story of the three little pigs it compares two different viewpoints of what happen in the story. I could have my kids decide which version they liked and write about it. Not sure what I would do for Spelling words and vocab words???

5. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Oct 7, 2006

I was thinking for folktale doing a Johnny Appleseed unit that week

6. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Fables are good, as well!

7. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Oct 7, 2006

I did a fairytale unit in 3rd grade. We compared The 3 Little Pigs with The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs. We also read THe 3 Little Javelinas. They got to write their own fractured version of the fairy tale. We also read Jack and the Beanstalk and grew our own bean stalks (science connection).

8. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Oct 7, 2006

Fairytale

I am going to do the fractured fairytale of the three little pigs: The true story of the three little pigs and then the regular story of the three little pigs. And compare them similarties and differences. Has anyone done this before? If so would you mind sharing some lesson plans. Thanks, Jill

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 7, 2006

Haven't, but...

Venn diagrams would be GREAT for comparing/contrasting... or do a chat: These stories are the same because/they're idfferent because

10. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Fairy tale unit

I did a two week fairy tales unit in the gifted class 2nd grade when I was student teaching. It was really fun, because the culminating activity was them writing their own fractured story. Each day I opened with a fun activity, that either taught something about the structure of a fairy tale, or fractured fairy tale. We played a game the kids loved where I had things in a sack, and they came up and picked things out and had to guess which fairy tale it went to. Like, I had a rubber frog, for the Frog Prince, and a flute for the Pied Piper, and fake gold coins for Rumplestiltskin. It was fun and they didn't know a lot of the fairy tales I grew up hearing, like Rapunzel etc. I taught the components of a fairy tale, like the good v evil, and the repetition of 3 and 5 in fairy tales. We did several of the craft lessons from Ralph Fletcher, like writing through a mask.

We learned all the different ways a fairy tale could be fractured, like character, setting, plot etc. Then at the end, their guided reading groups got together and wrote their own. IT was so fun!

Good luck with it, it took a lot of work and headache, but it was so fun!

Cari

11. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 8, 2006

There are also lots of different versions of Cinderella. You could do a compare/contrast between a few of them. (I think there are about 40 different versions.)

Venn diagrams
    compare/contrast
    create their own version
    create a new ending

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 8, 2006

I teach 2nd and am also required to teach fairy/folk tales... most of the other 2nd grade teachers in my school do this with the variations of cinderella - which is a great idea, however, I'm opting to just teach more fairy tales instead of focusing on just one. I've got a fairy tale reader set from scholastic that I'm using in my reading groups - the kids LOVE them... the set came with a book of activities and reproducible versions of each book which I send home. Once we really get into them, I'm planning on having the kids make some storyboards for the books and then do some retelling of the stories as well. Maybe some shadow puppets too.