Need some Ideas 1st year in Life Skills

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Beast bear, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Jul 30, 2016

Hello All,

This is my second year teaching but first year teaching in a life skills (mild, moderate) classroom 6th-8th grade. I have always worked with younger students. I am looking for some main ideas on teaching community awareness, vocational basic skills, and daily health living skills? Anyone have some good starters for me? My room is not big and I don't have a kitchen or bathroom in my room. I do have 9 students in my room with 2 aids. Thanks for the help.

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 31, 2016

community awareness: Have them practice their Address and phone number. You wouldn't believe how many sped students dont know it. Have them practice telling you if they live in an apartment or house. Have them describe it. Have them practice their/parents phone numbers. As a research project you could have them locate community officers or helpers. Have them figure out where these helpers are located and possible phone numbers/reasons to call. Have them learn to read the bus map and figure out which buses to take to get home. They could locate where the grocery store, hospital, police and fire stations are. Where is the hospital? If they get lost or separated from a group what do they do? Where do they go?? They could take pictures of their community and describe it to the class.

vocational basic skills: TIME MANAGEMENT. Some sped students struggle with moving quickly and getting there on time. Sometimes its their fault other times its not, Ingrain in their head that they MUST get to work on time. What happens when they run late? Who should they call? How should they dress for the job? (Will vary by the type of job) How should they talk to boss? Customer? Have them practice filling out a job application (lots of room for vocab here) Have them practice making phone calls and speaking clearly and slowly. Practice interviews and appropriate body language and gestures (hand shakes, eye contact etc.)

Daily Living Skills: Have them discuss how they should dress in winter/summer/rainy days/hot days. Talk to them about healthy eating habits. What does a well balanced meal look like? What is an appropriate serving size? Hygiene-deodorant/brushing teeth etc. (get emergency clothes/toiletries to keep at school. There will be accidents and they will be needed) Teach them about how to budget money. How to account for tax on a listed price in an advertisement.

Hope this helps: Stock up on Hand Saintizer/kleenex/gloves/wipes
    I hope this helps Good luck

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2016

A lot will depend on the level of your students. If they can read and write then they can do a lot of what the previous poster mentioned. If not, you might have to rely on lots of pictures and more matching, etc.

justwanttoteach likes this.
  5. RJN

RJN Rookie

Aug 7, 2016

All good advice above. I've taught Middle School Life Skills and find I always discovering something new to teach, so do let it overwhelm you. Something I did a little while back was take notes for a few day, about life in my house. I tried to pay attention to everything my son, my husband and I did and then broke it down. You'd be surprised what we do on a daily basis that the students need taught, that we aren't aware that we do.

My classroom is based on functional math (time, money, measurement and computation) and reading (recipes, labels, directions, newspaper etc.), daily living skills and community/vocational skills. I do a lot with a list of "survival words" and safety signs. Start small and simple, your kids are young and this may be their first exposure to some of these skills. You can do some cooking with an electric hot plate and there are many cooking skills to be learned without cooking. (assembling a sandwich, spreading, cutting, pouring) Create some work task boxes for some early vocational skills. (roll silverware, assemble packages, etc. You can find samples on line or Pinterest. Social Skills is very important too. Lots of lessons and activities to be found in this area.

Sounds like a lot, and it is, but take it slow and build your program. Have fun with them!

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 13, 2016

Reading maps, schedule, analog clocks, safety/community signs and symbols.
    Cooking and shopping, food safety. Even if they aren't cooking, you can teach them about expiration dates and how to read a label or sale flier.
    Sewing on a button, shining shoes, tying a necktie, doing/sorting laundry.
    Keeping a budget, writing a check or using money (making change).