Need some help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissH225, Oct 11, 2010.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Oct 11, 2010

A little background: Sorry I haven't been around here's why... Today began my third week with my new class. I am their 4th teacher this year. It is a rough school...low ses,test scores, high percentage of minority students, etc.

So I can chalk some of today as being Monday but behavior is ridiculous. For every good moment we have 2 bad ones. We spend half our day practicing lining up, walking the halls, etc. We will succeed and I will reward them and then the next time they'll do horrible and of course that's when other teachers see them and they get talked/yelled at (not always but we do get those looks).

I have being giving out stars for them to fill out a chart to get a reward, I use my pull your clip thing all the time(school wide procedure) but I let me kids move their clip up if they change their ways, send them to our time out room and other teachers rooms and I give them a possible 10 minutes of a class game at the end of the day (just started this today) and they can add or subtract to it to try to get some better behavior(I'm hoping this works better tomorrow if not I'm going to let the kids who had a good day have some free time w/my aide while the others practice procedures.) Also, I've been giving detention. Calling parents doesn't always help.

I know I could do a little more with consistency and practicing more but it's my third week with them now and I feel it's just the same stuff over and over, we should be able to move on. I know to a point it's a day to day thing we some of my kids but I feel like no gains are being made. Just when I get some of my harder kids under control 2 more act up(one who hasn't been on meds for a week and another that was kind of out of the blue)Starting tomorrow I am pulling one of my "rougher" kids per day during my plan to talk to for 10 minutes and get to know hoping this will help.

Any other ideas?Sorry for this it really does help to vent. Oh my principal and team mates are very supportive!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2010

It sounds like it is getting better! You said that they are doing it correctly sometimes. Keep in mind that change takes time. So, what you started with right away is probably helping, but all the new ideas need more time.

Have you tried timing them to see how quickly they can do it and for how long. Works well for lining up as well as walking in the hallway. My kids want to try to beat their time!

4. in_denial

in_denial Rookie

Oct 11, 2010

I recommend using songs for every task that they are supposed to do -- a line up song, a getting settled and quieting song, a getting out their pencils song. Short, repetitive songs to tunes that they already know ("Time to get our pencils out, time to get our pencils out" to Twinkle, twinkle, little star, etc.) The music will get in their heads and keep reminding them about what they are supposed to do! Plus, if they are singing, they are usually not misbehaving because they have to focus on it. So combine that with that great advice about timing them, and you've got yourself some new routines!

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Oct 11, 2010

Some excellent advice here.

Also try doing a running narration of students who are doing the right thing. "Tameka is getting out her copybook, Shazir has begun his work." By focusing on the positive constantly throughout the day, more students will fall into line, trying to be one of those students you are talking about.

6. brightsky351

brightsky351 Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

Hi! I agree that it will just take some time. Hang in there :)

7. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

As for the hallway, I had a group of 5th graders like that in after-school. I actually made a game for walking in the hallway - to adults it is stupid, but the kids loved it and it worked. If we were doing math that day, I would ask them math facts (2x2). If they answered correctly that's how many steps they went forward and backward if they answered incorrectly. They knew the only way we would "play" was if they were behaving. They loved it when I would give them riddles - ex: If there are 15 crows in the tree and the farmer shoots and kills one, how many are left?

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

I would really stress the positive and be super encouraging. I love sports and it is interesting how in the huddles of different teams the coach is constantly yelling encouragement - and he is talking to grown men!

Also, if the students constantly here positive, but every once in a while you "crack down" it will make more of an impact.

Also, stay positive with yourself! I applaud you for embracing the challenge - you will become a better teacher and person for taking on such a task. Rely on your supportive team, it is so great to have one. You will do great, and so will you students!

9. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

Try and remember that they had 3 other teachers before you. They had to get used to 3 different routines and personalities. Now, they have to try and remember yours. Take it a little bit at a time (preferrably the few things that are most important), and don't overwhelm them. Praise them enthusiastically for things they do right. When they do something wrong, don't focus on the negative. Find ways they can correct themselves that are more acceptable. When they are doing those things to your liking, move on to other challenges.