Need some help with travel/vacation ideas...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by doubletrouble, Nov 7, 2010.

1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Nov 7, 2010

Hello,

My husband and I are planning on taking a vacation next summer. He wanted to start looking now. This is what he would like: secluded or at least partly secluded,not many people,water,but he wants to be able to dine in restaurants and enjoy tourist activities.

This can be anywhere...seriously. He has looked at Caribean,Bermuda, Bahamas, Mexico, and several other places that I cannot remember.

We are planning on staying 5-7 days just the two of us with no children or grandchildren! :wow:We ave never done anything like this before and are very excited about this opportunity.

I know several of you have traveled extensively and would love some pointers.As I said before we have never done anything like this before, this will be my first time out of the states. :)

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

I would highly recomend Ixtapa, Mexico. It is just what you described. Small town, beach, resorts, restaurants, turistic attractions. Low key enough if you just want to relax but enough attractions to keep you busy and entertained. We stayed at Las Brisas Hotel. It wasn't that expensive and we felt like we were secluded. On top that every room has an ocean view. It was awesome!!! Here's a link to the hotel.

My husband became very interested because Ixtapa is right next to Zihuatanejo, the town that was mentioned in Shawshack Redemption.

http://www.brisashotelonline.com/ixtapa

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 7, 2010

We loved Costa Rica - went there on our honeymoon. I also like Aruba but Bermuda is my favorite place. I grew up going there every summer for many many years. It is expensive though.

5. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

I have been to Aruba twice and the Bahamas on a cruise. I LOVED Aruba. Different parts of the island beach are more populated or secluded so you can be around people or not. There is a lot to do with water and land excursions and SO many great places to eat.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 7, 2010

I'm sure you know this, but if you're planning on going out of the country in the summer, go ahead and get your passport now. That process takes a bit longer now than it used to take.

7. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Nov 9, 2010

Thank you! I love it!

8. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Nov 9, 2010

Any certain areas of Aruba you like better than others? I really appreciate all your help.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2010

I've never yet been, but how about Tahiti? I'd go to most places in the world, except for dangerous locations of course.

10. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Nov 10, 2010

I enjoyed Puerto Rico. Have fun wherever you go!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 10, 2010

How about a cruise? My husband hates crowds, but finds a cruise is enjoyable. I love cruises, and have been to Mexico and Alaska.

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 11, 2010

I agree with Blue. Go on a cruise (we have been on 14 now). It is the best of both worlds and you can be as busy or lazy as you want and if you don't like the port you are in, you'll be in a different one tomorrow. There are always quiet, secluded places on a ship.
    Great beaches throughout the Caribbean.

13. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Nov 11, 2010

Everyone always thinks super tropical places. Southern Europe has some amazing beaches, if wanting the beach thing. Southern Italy is beautiful!

I agree with whoever mentioned the passport thing. It's best to have it 6 monthes prior so they don't go...why did you just get this yesterday? lol Any reason to hold you up...they wil.. I was held up in Manchester England b/c I didn't lie to them.