Need some good advice

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Jmbmartinez12, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Jmbmartinez12

Jmbmartinez12 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

I am a first year teacher and was hired at the last minute to replace a teacher at the school I student taught in. I actually went into 4th grade and had student taught in 3rd so I gained a lot of my class back. This year we are doing a cluster grouping and I was given the gifted class. I have 8 identified gifted students and then the rest of my class is made up of average and low. We found out yesterday that two students identified are not in my class and have to be moved and I have to move two out.

Here is my problem, I have one teacher who I feel is trying to get me to fail. She has made comments about my classroom management, about how SHE should have been the gifted teacher, she didn't understand why it went to a first year etc. I have a huge group of boys 17 and the two students I am getting are boys. My class is constantly vying for the class clown position and several of my boys are on behavior action plans and its the 3rd week of school. There is one boy who I think if he moved out of my classroom would do so much better and she is refusing to take him. He is known for giving first year teachers hard times and was moved out of the 3rd grade first year teachers classroom last year for it. She says he had a conflict with a student in her class, yet there is no documentation that says they can't be together. Instead she wants to take a girl who has excellent behavior which would leave me with only 8 girls.There is a lot more background but I am just not so sure what to do in this situation. The principal is aware of her comments because other teachers who have heard her have told him and he pulled me aside to talk to me.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 26, 2010

Back out of it and let the principal make the decision...you are in a lose/lose situation. Place the monkey on his back. Give him all the score information, classroom makeup and any concerns and let him be bad (or good) guy.

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

And he said what?

If it were me I would not move the problem child. I know you'd like to make it a bit easier on yourself and perhaps he WOULD do better there but think about it from the other teacher's perspective. Would you want a problem student added to your class?

That said I wouldn't move the girl either. Class balance is important. I would choose 2 or 3 middle of the road students. Tell her that you will not move a girl since you are short on them but since you are getting boys she can pick which of the boys she wants from those 3. I would do this for each of the teachers getting your students. Then it is a collaborative effort and she shouldn't have anything to complain about because SHE chose the student.

5. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

I think she actually needs to try to compromise first. If she simply asks the principal to do it she could be seen as unprofessional. If the other teacher won't take the compromise it is perfectly reasonable to ask the principal to do so.

6. corney

corney Companion

Aug 26, 2010

I agree with Irissa, handle it directly with the other teacher but you make a list of the students that you feel would be best to move, if she won't compromise then I'd say bring in the higher third party.

As for the problem student, don't allow him the power to rule the class, if he knows that what he is doing will get him moved he will never learn the lesson of respect for YOUR class, he's making it his class.. Take away his power, teach him to take responsibility for his actions and to suffer the consequences of those actions.