Need some feedback about my daughter (personal!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 4, 2012

My daughter is 8 years old. She is a thin, little girl, showing absolutely no visible signs of puberty at all. Tonight, she took me aside and told me that she had bled a couple of times today. I tried to hide my shock, but I don't know how well I succeeded. I didn't start menstruating until I was 14, nearly double my daughter's age.

Is it possible it could be something else? I cannot imagine that my little girl would start her period so young, and with no signs of puberty coming beforehand.

Any thoughts?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

You should take her for a physical.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 4, 2012

It could be, but there are also other possibilities. Could she have a bladder infection or anything of that type?

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 4, 2012

I'm calling the doctor tomorrow, but I wanted to see if I could get any feedback tonight. :)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2012

I think it's more likely to be blood in the urine. Has she had any pain?

7. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

My daughter did this after an awkward fall. You might want to question about this, and see if there was anything that could have caused tearing.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 4, 2012

Oh goodness, I hope you're right and it's some sort of treatable infection. She mentioned something about pain when going to the bathroom, but I was so convinced it was her period that I didn't really focus on that.

I'm calling the doctor tomorrow. Unfortunately, tomorrow is also her and my first day of school. But, I'll hopefully get her an appt. afterwards.

ETA: She also mentioned that she kept having to go to the bathroom today. I'm thinking that might be a sign of a bladder infection.

However, she mentioned bleeding when not urinating. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight thinking about this. :unsure:

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

When I taught third grade I had a girl start her period in class one time. It definitely happens.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 4, 2012

Girls do start their periods much earlier than they used to. 14 would be on the later side. 8 would be quite early, but not unheard of. Sounds like it could definitely be a UTI if she kept having to go the bathroom. Can you ask her if there was a burning sensation when she went potty or the pain was in her tummy? That should tip you off depending on her answer. Burning = UTI, uterine cramps = period. I can't imagine how you must feel right now! I got my period at 11 and my mother cried. I should give her a call. :blush:

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 6, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. It turns out she has strep throat and apparently, this is a symptom. Who knew? Thank goodness (!!!!!!!!!) it was not menstruation. I can't imagine dealing with that with an 8 year old.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

Glad you got an answer. Untreated strep can lead to serious complications...so good you caught it. Sending wishes and :hugs: for a great recovery.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 6, 2012

That's unusual. Glad she's not dealing with her period yet.

I started my period when I was 9 years old. I had no other signs of puberty, but they came soon after. I was one of the youngest in my class (started first grade at five), but I looked older than the rest of them. By the time the rest of my friends were starting puberty (middle school), I was my current adult height and wearing a real bra.

Glad she's not going to have to deal with that yet.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

Well, I hate that she has strep but I'm glad that it's from that and not her period. My daughter is 8 and I would be shocked if she got her period right now!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2012

Oh, I'm glad you've found out what it is, and that it's "only" strep-- something treatable.

I hope she feels better soon.

And let her know how much you appreciate her coming to you and letting you know-- that now that she's getting bigger, she'll have to do that when things in her life take her by surprise.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2012

Glad it was just strep, but I second what Alice said. Hope you both had a great first day of school!