Need some encouragement - I got baited-and-switched

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2015

Just yesterday I was finally cleared to start my new position at the end of this month... which is great, considering that I interviewed for and accepted the offer back in early-to-mid March, and I packed my things and moved across state lines early this summer, less than two weeks after school dismissed for the summer in my last district.

I accepted this job and immediately stopped interviewing because I thought I hit a gold mine with principals. I've worked for some really bad ones at my last two schools, and I went into my job search with the mindset that I would teach anything - any grade, sped or regular ed, any setting - so long as I had a good administrator leading me. When I interviewed for this job, I met with only the principal, and I felt that we had similar philosophies and meshed quite well together. This was her first year at the school, and she seemed very eager to make a lot of positive changes. The commute was a tad further than I would have liked, but the school was in a good neighborhood... and, most importantly, I loved the principal. So, I accepted immediately when she called to make the offer the next morning, waiving her usual interview requirements of a second-round panel interview and demo lesson because she "didn't want to lose [me]" and was looking for me to take on "a leadership role".

So, yesterday, when HR finally cleared me to start the job, I emailed her to let her know and ask about when I could get into the building to bring my personal things into the classroom. I didn't get a response before the end of the day, which is highly unusual, based on our past communications. Today she sends an email to the entire staff: She and the AP are unexpectedly both leaving to accept positions together at a new school. Today would be her last day.

:eek: :huh: :mad: :( :confused: :unsure:

I took this job because of her. I mean, I've met other teachers and staff I'll be working with, and they seem great... but I really wanted to be at this school because of this principal in particular. Now I'm left feeling abandoned and anxious about who will come to replace her. I feel naive for putting so much stock into one person. Of course she has every right to move on in her career herself. I'm just disappointed that the biggest selling point this school had for me is no longer going to be there when I start in a few weeks.

Any words of encouragement or advice?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 12, 2015

Yikes, that's a tough spot. It's comforting to know some of the staff is great, which could be your saving grace. Stick it out for the year and see what happens. Of course later on you could see if that P has openings at the new school for the following year.

i would ask staff once you get comfortable and settled in on what they thought of the P that left. Maybe she wasn't as great as you hoped she was. Maybe the new P fits better with your vision. I'd say take a leap of faith in what has taken place and roll with it, then reflect at the end of the year.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2015

Hopefully you will love your new school anyway. Maybe you will get an even better P.

I've worked for 5 Ps now. I started with a great one, so now that I've dealt with two terrible ones, I really know how important a good P is. However, I also know how high turnover can be. I'd take this as a lesson learned- don't let the P be the only deciding factor.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2015

The sad truth is welcome to education (and most other industries.) People are often looking to get ahead and will move on. It certainly isn't a personal attack on you - it was just the best situation for them. Take the excitement and hope you had for them and bring it to the new situation. You make it happen, who needs them?

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2015

Hugs. What a disappointment! But, you can do this. You are in charge of how you start off the year. You will know soon enough how much support you can expect. In the meantime, make your room comfortable for you to do your best. Put the disappointment behind you and get ready for the kids who need you.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2015

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I think I knew the answer was to just take it in stride, learn the lesson, and move forward with a positive attitude. I just needed to hear it from someone else! For a minute there, I was thinking of emailing her to ask if she had openings at her new school for this year or to start applying for other schools that are closer to where I live and more ideal based on reputation of the school itself. (We still have 2.5 weeks before teachers report, and openings are still posted.) However, you all are right... Perhaps the new principal will be even better, or the rest of the staff at the school will make it all worth it. I guess I just won't know until I go in with a positive attitude and give it a try! Worst case, I do this for a year and apply elsewhere for next year.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 12, 2015

I'm sure it is a disappointment, but you will NEVER have any control over what others choose to do. I've worked for great principals who turned out to be a disappointment, and then I've worked for ones I thought I'd not like who were great. Some move on quickly. Others stay way too long, IMO.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2015

I don't think it was intentional (the bait and switch is usually intentional to mislead someone). I would go into it with a positive attitude since you don't know the new P yet. It stinks when things like this happen though.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 12, 2015

Bella, I'm so sorry for your feelings of anxiety. It's NEVER good to be in the "unforseeable future" zone. :(

My advice to you: don't borrow trouble. What I mean by that - don't worry about what the future holds, because you never know... the new principal may be awesome!

In fact, go into the year expecting great things. Look for all of his/her good qualities and find them. :) And whatever you do...don't compare him/her to the principal you loved (the one who left). That will only lead to disappointment.

Hope this didn't come across too harsh.

Have a wonderful year! :)

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2015

I think if the school is in a district which is strong overall, with strong admin and leadership across the board, then you should feel confident that the new P and AP will also be strong and will likely share similar values/philosophy. Strong districts build strong cultures by hiring admin that share that culture (ideally). Go into the situation feeling confident that this person chose *you* for the job and that the team choosing her replacement will find another awesome person to fill her shoes!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

Look at it this way. Everyone at the school is probably feeling a bit anxious about a new administrator...you're all in the same boat! I was newly hired at the same time as a new principal. It kind of created a connection between us as we 'began' as newbies together. Since then I've worked for 4-5 different principals and 2 different superintendents in the fifteen years I've been in the district. The only constant is change! :). Good luck!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

Administrators come and go. They certainly contribute to school climate, but aren't solely responsible for it. Decide that you are going to have a fabulous year, and work to make it happen.

Enjoy the new adventure!

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2015

:thumb:

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2015

Such great words of wisdom! It's going to be a good experience!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 12, 2015

This is what I was going to say also. Of the 3 principals I've worked for, the one that ended up being my favorite drove me nuts when I first met her. The one that was truly awful gave a great first impression because she could really "talk the talk." When I first got hired I thought she was going to do such a great job. I didn't realize how bad she was until I started actually working for her. Almost the entire staff had the same experience I did (great first impression, very sudden disappointment when we realized what she was really like). You never know what she would have really been like to work for. I hope your new P is great!