Need some cute slippers!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 10, 2010

So my new school has a no shoes policy. All the kids wear slippers, as do the teachers.

Has anyone seen any cute ones lately? It would be fun to have some cute girly ones, but nothing bulky. I want to be lithe and light on my feet. :p

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2010

I have two pairs of the ballet slipper type ones from Isotoner that I wear at work. I have a black satin pair and an ivory satin pair that's decorated with pearls and sequins. They were the ones I wore with my wedding dress. They are comfortable and don't scream "I'm wearing slippers".

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

I have some slippers that are like flip flops. They basically just look like furry flip flops. Lol. I got them for the days that my shoes are killing my feet. Every time I wear them I get a ton of compliments from my kids!

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

A no shoe policy, sounds kind of neat...is there a purpose behind it?

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 10, 2010

Great ideas!

It's part for germs-city streets are GROSS, and the pre-school/kindergarten kids are all over the carpets all the time. It would be horrible to track urine/germs/etc in and let them crawl on it. It's also a respect thing-the school is in an old Victorian home, so the home is considered the third teacher-the kids respect it by walking softly, taking care of it, etc.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

Very interesting...and the germs thing is soo true! I picked up my carpet at the end of the year last year and the amount of dirt underneath it was sooo disgusting!

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 10, 2010

Hmmm, I like that policy!

Kohl's has some cute slippers on clearance from Christmas. The Simply Vera Wang ones are quite chic.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 11, 2010

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 11, 2010

I am not sure I could work all day in slippers. I guess I could buy some house only shoes.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2010

I think I would just have like 10 pair and wear whatever I was in the mood for that day.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

I have never, in my life, heard of any school asking teachers to wear slippers.

Not criticizing-- they can do what they want-- just, I don't know-- bemused???

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

What about people like me who need to wear a very supportive-type shoe? I couldn't work 8 hours in slippers. I need the support of a good, sturdy shoe.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  15. smk05

smk05 New Member

Feb 11, 2010

That is so strange! Is it a requirement? Slippers don't really offer much support for your feet. And what about when the kids go to recess? I don't see that as being very safe.

But, Jem your school sounds SO neat! I would love teaching somewhere like that some day. :) How do you find these places??

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 11, 2010

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

18. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

The preschool I used to work at was a slippers only school. I think it helped the school itself stay much cleaner, and I was glad for the policy on those rainy days! The kids would come in and put on their slippers, leave shoes in their cubbies. At recess we just put the shoes back on, they weren't to go outside in their slippers.
    Although teachers were not required to wear slippers (I usually wore shoes, but they were mostly of the ballet flat type) they could if they wanted to.

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2010

If you'e going to be wearing slippers all day, every day, splurge for some that you love, both style-wise and comfort-wise. I don't know how you feel about them, but there are some really cute Uggs slides that would serve nicely as slippers and are really comfy.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 11, 2010

I have custom orthodics that fit into my slippers.

I can't walk in bare feet for very many steps. I wear some kind of shoe or slipper at all times, and they have to have the custom orthodics.

21. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 11, 2010

Do the children and adults remove their slippers before using the bathrooms? Little ones (and sometimes big ones) don't always hit the mark, especially the boys.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2010

I believe there's only a staff of 5 so I'm sure it's more of a family feel than most schools...I love my heels too much to wear slippers although I do love Uggs slippers...still too casual though for me in a professional setting, I'm one of those 'old school' people in terms of dress...I believe in setting a professional tone with what I wear...not old-fashioned, in fact I think you can be quite fashion forward and still set a professional appearance...just don't think slippers are that...germs or not...think I'd buy a fabulous pair of comfy, beautiful flats to wear and leave at school if this was the policy...Tory Burch has some great medallion flats...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2931676...ferralID=40a43d51-1843-11df-a274-000423bb4e79

Uggs, if you HAVE to wear slippers...(eek, can't believe they dictate shoe wear..) The Cozy and Scuffette at least look Ugg shoe like:
    http://www.uggaustralia.com/ProductsList.aspx?gID=w&categoryID=181

23. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Feb 13, 2010

While they are not very lady-like I have a pair of really cute sock monkey slippers. I got them from Target.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

Wow! I'm loving this school. I think outdoor schoes worn in the house is so gross and disgusting.

When I taught kinder, I also found it so gross that they sat on the carpet where we all walked on.

I would look at Target. I found cute ballet house shoe heart slippers. They have such cute things there.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

I'm sure they change from indoor shoes to outdoor shoes. I've seen schools in Japan that do that. I love the no shoes in school/house policy.

26. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Feb 13, 2010

Ummm...CzaCza, have you seen the price tag on those ballet flats at Nordstrom? :eek: Not something I would ever want to have around kids, paint, glue, etc. You can get an almost identical pair from places like Target for probably 12 bucks!

27. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

At the school where I teach, children also take off their shoes. Some children wear slippers, some wear socks, and when the weather is warmer, some just do bare feet indoors. But, they always put their shoes on to go outside for any reason. The kids love it.

Teachers don't have to go shoeless, but some choose to.

28. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Feb 13, 2010

Lots of our schools have students change into inside shoes, which are normally a pair of runners that they use for gym. My current school is very low income and so they don't require them. The class next door is always filthy, a bunch of the boys love to play in the mud. I'm sure the janitor sweeps several cups of dirt out of that class every day.

29. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 13, 2010

What do you do when you have practice fire drills? I can't wait until the children put on their shoes and I can't imagine our K teachers trying to get 20 students into shoes. We are required by state law to have X number of fire drills prior to a late November date. We never know when it is happening. I'd hate to have my child waiting outside on perhaps wet pavement, where people sometimes walk their dogs in bare feet.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2010

Oh, I know...I have a knock off pair...just showing an alternate to slippers.

EEK, bare feet...fungus among us...

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2010

OK, definitely an alternate universe to my job.

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 13, 2010

At my school we are all required to change our shoes when we enter. The kids wear their "indoor" shoes, which stay at school. I also bring a change of shoes daily. We have snow for 6 months of the year and I could not imagine what our school would look like if we didn't change our footwear. On administrative or snow days I will often bring my slippers as my indoor footwear. I have knitted boot type slippers that don't look like slippers.

Every day care I have worked at has had this requirement as well. I'd love to be allowed to wear my slippers!

33. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

In regards to fire drills, I imagine kids just run out with their indoor shoes still on; it won't hurt to have this done every once in a while.

34. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

We only have fire drills on warm, sunny days. Really. It's true. If it's a nasty day, they'll do the firedrill during recess or during lunchtime when the children would have their shoes on anyway.

In the 23 years I've been there, we've never had a fire drill for a real fire or for accidental purposes, so it's not been an issue.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2010

..and yet you've been enjoying a successful career there for ummm, how many years, Alice? You and they must be doing something right...:love:

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

They just have REALLY dirty floors.... :eek:

:D

37. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

It is typical for infant rooms in day care to be shoe free. Teachers ususally wear slipper or cover their shoes with those adorable hospital booties.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

Our school has a central courtyard with brick paths over, believe it or not, a Koi pond. So the halls DO pick up some dirt, particularly in the bad weather. I cross it at least 4 times a day.

But our maintainence guys are pretty amazing about keeping our school clean. NOT "infant crawling around" clean, but the halls get polished each night (they go around with a tennis ball on a stick to remove scuff marks, honest!) and each classroom gets vacuumed each night.

And when my kids were infants and toddlers in daycare, their rooms were shoe-free as well. But Jem is teaching kids who are much older, right? K-6 or something?

As I said, an alternate universe. Not a bad thing, just totally different from the suits and pumps I tend to wear to work a lot or the Jacket and tie Peter wears every day. Somehow I'm pretty sure I would make TLC's What Not to Wear if I paired my favorite suits with fuzzy slippers. :eek:

:hugs: (sorry, Kira NEEDED to include that over my shoulder!)

As to the fire drills: we've had ours go off in cold weather, drizzly weather, and between periods. (And there are 2500 kids in my school--that one was a bit tricky!!) Once last fall an electrician triggered it as we were getting our 175 kid study hall settled for the very first time in the cafeteria-- most of the kids didn't have assigned seats yet and taking attendance outside would have been, let's say "interesting" had it been necessary.

But fire drills should happen at any and all times. Sure, they're a massive inconvenience. But they're the best way we know of averting a crisis.

39. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 14, 2010

I still lived in Sweden when I was in first grade. I recall that when we got to school we'd leave our coats and shoes in the hallway and then spend the day in our socks or put on slippers. I have no idea if my teacher wore "indoor shoes" or slippers. I think the "no outside shoes" thing continued through 6th grade, and then once in middle school they stop doing it. Might have stopped after third grade though.

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

:lol: Funny..

Like Alice, our custodians do an amazing job cleaning our hallways and classrooms. We have terazzo hallway floors which are polished at night with a big machine- wish I had one at home!!:D

And Alice, the brick courtyard sounds cool...We have an outdoor teaching spot- a rock cut so it looks like a big chair with an educational quote on it and bricked 'stadium' type steps where the kids sit...I love going out with my kids in the spring for writing lessons...with their shoes on. :cool:

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

Ok, got my footwear for my first whole week at work. TeacherShelly got me the first pair for my birthday-so, so cute!! The second pair are Reef sandals, but will be just fine, and so, so comfortable!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]