Need some creative ideas....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by alielizadubois, Nov 7, 2008.

1. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Nov 7, 2008

I won a donorschoose grant. Our class was given a digital camera. We are just thrilled....

The difficult part, though, is that the stipulation is that we have to write thank you letters and include photographs of the children using the materials. (Usually, things donated to the classroom are: computers, art supplies, books, etc. Tangible things the kids can immediately use).

This presents a difficulty for me because the camera is really intended to be used to supplement instruction (through photographs -- I teach English Language Learners), to document their first excursions in New York City (we take Saturday field trips), to add oomph to bulletin boards, projects, partner work, etc., to document things like parent activity nights, etc.

I've taken a couple of photographs of some children holding the camera with a big smile on their face, I've had them make and decorate signs that say "thank you" "for" "the camera" and stand in a line holding them up...

I've got to take a whole roll of film's worth of pictures, and I can't figure out anything else to do!

How can I get creative and take photos of the children that pertain to the camera without taking boring pictures of them using the camera (which isn't representative of how we will be using it anyway) or the same photos over and over of them looking at it and smiling, or tons of "thank you" signs???

Help!!!

Im at a loss....

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

How about including some picture the kids have taken with the camera??

4. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Nov 7, 2008

We could do that, and I probably will. Its a good suggestion. But, still, we have to use up the disposable camera that came with out "thank you kit".

Oh, and I've taken photographs of a bulletin board I did using photos taken with the digital camera.

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, I would have the kids take some photos on one of your saturday field trips..and in your card..say something about thank you for opening my eyes to all their is to see in new york..and have them put in something they took a photo of. This would also demonstrate everything else..your boards etc...you could even do a big display of what the kids are seeing on their trips.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

How about a comparison of a picture, say the Chrysler Building, taken with the disposable, and a close up, cropped one taken with the digital. You could highlight how much better detail the digital is capable of.

7. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Nov 7, 2008

Great ideas, guys!

8. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

Congratulations on getting funded. I'm still trying to figure out how to get anyone to contribute. I knew you had to send thank you notes/letters once you got funded, but I didn't know you had to use up a whole roll of film. Thanks for the info.

I like the idea of showing how much better a digital picture is. It can be cropped to show the details. Also, the fact that you can take multiple pictures to get that "one" then delete the others. I don't know if you could "use up" some on bad pictures compared to good ones or not... just a thought.

9. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

Have the kids take pictures of stuff at your school and photograph them using the camera (even though that is not really your intended use).
    Congrats on the grant!