Need some creative ideas for a new clip chart!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sassy~teacher, Sep 13, 2012.

1. sassy~teacher

sassy~teacher New Member

Sep 13, 2012

Hello teachers! I need some help creating a new behavior clip chart! I love children's literature, so my wish is to create a "book title" clip chart where each "spot" is a different book title instead of the typical:

Role Model (purple)
    Outstanding (pink)
    Showing Pride (blue)
    Ready to Learn (green)
    Think About It (yellow)
    Teacher's Choice (orange)
    Parent Contact (red)

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2012

The Alexander book seems a bit harsh, even for a parent contact. I don't know how it works for you, but when my kids are on red (or they were when we used it this way) they were always able to work back to green. I wouldn't want a child to be on red early in the day and think of it as a "very bad day" I'd want them to be thinking about how they could get back to green.

4. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 3, 2013

I know this is an old post but it is exactly an issue I am struggling with. I am all for allowing a child who gets on red move back up but how do you report what color the child was on for the day to the parent. Its one thing if they got on yellow and moved back up but on red its important the parent know about it. So what do you do?

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I would let the parent know what the issue was, but also let them know that the child turned his behavior around. I also let the child know that it is a powerful thing for him to gain control of his behavior and turn it around.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

I don't report what color the child was on every single day to their parents. I don't even use this system anymore. But red meant a phone call home, so even if the child worked back to green they still got the phone call home, but they knew the phone call would be a lot better if I could tell the parent yes, he was on red for this reason but in the afternoon he worked back to green by doing this. Or it could be, well he was on red in the morning and it continued all afternoon.