need some advice

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by real_life_teach, Feb 7, 2008.

1. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

Hello All,
    I am new to the forum. I am in the middle of my student teaching as we speak. Everything was going great...so I thought. My CT was constantly saying how amazing I was, that I was a better teacher than them (this was a red flag for me) and I would reply with, trust me I have a lot to learn and you are teaching me so much. Well anyways my principal came in for my first observation last week. During my lesson my teacher kept correcting me on MINOR things. I made a few mistakes that no one would have noticed had my CT not said anything, and so I just graciously said thanks so much for pointing that out, and then I would correct myself. My principal at one point told my ct to either be quiet or leave the room because he was there. I feel now that my CT is almost trying to undermine me, and I have done nothing but try and make him feel like he is amazing. He has even said to me..."When you are teacher of the year, don't forget to put in a plug for me."

Any suggestions???

:help:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2008

real life, I'm sorry that your CT has become like this. It sounds like he's jealous of your abilities as a teacher. The principal sounds like he wasn't going to allow the CT to get away with it. I would just carry out the rest of my student teaching with as much kindness towards him as possible.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2008

I agree- he is letting his own securities out . You don't owe him any reassurance by the way. He is supposed to be there as a role model for you. Seems like you know alot and I think you've handled things professioanlly so far( which is more than I could say for him)

How did he ever end up hosting a ST? :rolleyes:

5. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

So the biggest bummer about this is I have now been out since Tuesday with a fever of 102.8 and this chest thing that 7 other kids are out with. my CT has told me he has enjoyed being the teacher again...which I can understand..but does he REALLY have to tell me that. I do not feel like he wants be back there, and I am full time teaching till the beginning of March. Any ideas of how to graciously come back to the classroom??? Oh and it doesn't help that all the kids keep saying we never want you to leave. You should always be our teacher...and ya....that puts me in a tough place....Thanks to the previous people for your posts...this is a difficult thing to handle professionally.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2008

He's immature. You just return like it was any old day.. don't fuel the fire by trying to answer his ridiculous comments.

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

So sorry! I know that nasty stress when the CT is not quite as cooperative or truly genuine as needed. Some CTs just aren't meant to host a ST, and maybe people don't even realize that until someone has been placed with him/her.

I agree with everyone else: just gone on with a gracious smile and be as accommodating as possible. It would be difficult to have someone else come in and take over your territory, and I can see why some CTs have difficulty "letting go." But there isn't anything you can do about that! Just smile and keep going. It will be over before you know it!

8. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

Missred,
    I totally agree with you. I personally could not see myself being a CT for that very reason. I understand that it is hard...but I am the 3rd ST this person has had...and it just makes me wonder...why. Every experience I have had the teachers have said wow you are by far the best ST I have ever had...and I wonder if they are just blowing smoke lol to make me feel good. oh one more thing I need advice about. Their is a child with some behavior issues when I came up with a plan to work with the child, I asked my CT about it first and he said "you can do whatever you want, it wont work "this child" is just manipulative." and I replied with well if you don't mind I would at least like to try. The behaviors are affecting other children's learning, and my ability to teach effectively. My CT said thats fine but im telling you its a waist of your time. So I tried my idea, and this child went home saying it was the best day at school the child had ever had. The next day the mom came in crying saying thank you so much for paying attention to my child. I knew my child was capable of being good in school.....

I was not trying in any way to over step my teacher, and I am here for the children, and I am not going to jepordize a child that has some obvious needs, that have a fairly simple solution just because it will upset my CT...but I feel like it is adding to the fire. I have enjoyed this student so much now. They are an asset to the classroom where before they were THE distraction.....so I don't know. I can't turn my cheek to a child with an issue because it makes my life easier...but boy oh boy is this whole situation complicated. I feel like I am walking on egg shells.

9. smalltowngal

Feb 8, 2008

This CT needs to get over himself. Do you fill out a type of evaluation on him for the university? I know that we did for our college. I'm sure you could put something in there w/o coming right out and saying it, that maybe he shouldn't host future STs. As far as coming back, I agree that you just need to go in like nothing is wrong. Pick up where you left off and continue on. Its great to hear stories about the child that you helped. And that's what STing is about, is finding what works for YOU in a classroom of real students.

10. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 8, 2008

Thanks so much everyone I really appreciate all of the encouragement. I was starting to think I had done something wrong. I feel much better now!!!!

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2008

Your CT is very insecure...:(... He certainly didn't impress the principal......:p

12. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 8, 2008

The CT was correcting you verbally in front of class and principal? How did this person ever become a CT? Never mind - some schools criteria for a CT is raising your hand at the staff meeting when principal asks, "Does anyone want to be a CT?"

13. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

ya and when I have been enforcing class thought up consequences due to some unacceptable behavior (doing what I say I am going to do). He tell me no we dont want to discipline them, we just say it to scare them....WHILE IM IN THE MIDDLE of letting the class know that they have had their chance, and that beings they could not show me the behavior they all said they would, that they would have to make up the writing time that they wasted during the beginning of choice time. I am not making them write for punishment...they are making up the time they wasted to finish up their work that got unfinished...which would be well a natural consequence...but I guess there is none of that either. ya...it is hard to gain authority in the classroom, when I keep being shot down by their teacher IN FRONT OF THEM!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2008

Sometimes life hands us examples to live up to, and sometimes life hands us examples to turn away from.

15. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

So very true. I am also learning how to keep relations positive with someone who I do not always see eye to eye with. Also how to stand up for my students...even if they are only "my students" for 4-5 weeks. This is about them not me not him, it is what is best for them. I try my hardest to not let the tension happen in class. I always just take his advice with a grain of salt, and never bash him. After all he is their teacher and will be when I leave. I have learned a lot here...it may not be about instruction...but it sure vital stuff for the profession!!!

16. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 9, 2008

I understand that every state is different and that in some states the CT is not allowed to leave the student teacher alone? I think the best part of my student teaching was that my CT almost never came into my classroom. I really was able to learn how I wanted to teach. Our CT was not suppose to be in the classroom after a few days. When I was observed by the university she was not in the room.

17. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

I wish, they have to be there majority of the time. And if they are not the door to the hall must stay open.....lol

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 9, 2008

As tg so nicely put it, turn this into an experience of what NOT to do. Sounds like you're doing a great job in a challenging situation. Keep up the good work.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

Which state is that? I'm in CA. I hope we don't have our master teachers with us. I'm nervous.:unsure:

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

Sounds like he is jealous of you, and threatened by you. You have a wonderful attitude, and I think you know exactly how to handle it... :)

21. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Mar 10, 2008

Unfortunately there are practicum and student teaching teachers that will always make you feel like that. Some teachers just get burned out, and when they see someone come into the classroom so full of life, and excitement, they become mad. The students are quick to bond with practicum students and student teachers, because we are young. I am in my last practicum before student teaching, the students have all given me cards, and notes, saying how they do not want me to leave as well..in a way you are flattered and feel connected to your class, but on the other hand you fear the wraith of your teacher. Personally, in this case I see this as a lose lose situation. You just have to tough it out, smile with a fake smile, and enjoy your students, because they obviously enjoy you!

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

real_life_teach, how did the rest of your student teaching assignment go?

23. real_life_teach

real_life_teach Rookie

Mar 11, 2008

Well I am in my last week. It has been somewhat better. Still tough, but I have managed to have a very good working relationship with my CT, and my students are wonderful. I at least tried all of my CT suggestions and he really liked that. It was tough going back after being so sick, but it has gone really fast. I am getting some very good letters of recommendations, and some meetings with principals in schools that are close near by. So keeping a positive attitude, and being gracious has paid off. I am just sad that I am SOOO excited to be done. All of my other experiences I have been VERY sad. This time I am ready to move onto bigger and better things. It is very bitter sweet.

How has everyone been doing?:blush:

24. smalltowngal

Mar 11, 2008

Maybe this CT just needed to have his ego stroked a bit. There are better things out there for you! Good luck!