Need some advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Beth2004, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 9, 2007

Some of you may have read my threads last weekend about applying to a 3rd-4th grade looping position. I interviewed for the same position last year and was granted a second interview, but didn't get the job. This job is basically my dream job. It's VERY close to home (I timed it at about 4 mins last year), I would alternate grades between 3rd and 4th every year as I looped with my classes, the principal seemed awesome when I met him last year, and the pay is higher than any of the other districts in my area. The deadline for apps. was Monday and I haven't received a call for an interview, but I'm hoping they just haven't started calling yet.

Here's my dilemma...
    I read awaxler's post the other day with the link to the article about having your current principal call the school where you're applying to recommend you for an interview. I know my principals would do that for me as they never have anything but wonderful things to say about me, but the district website specifically says "No phone calls please." Now, that's the superintendent's request, not the principal's, but if it's a district policy I don't want to hurt my chances of being interviewed again. I feel like I'd rather err on the side of caution. What do you think??

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

Have your principal send an e-mail?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 9, 2007

Oh, that's the other thing, their email addresses are not listed on the website.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

Hmmm. That's a tough spot, Beth. I don't know what I'd do. Sorry I'm not really much help!

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 9, 2007

Thanks for trying! :)

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2007

Beth,

I think they are referring to no calls from people asking about their application status. I do think a call from an administrator would be acceptable. give it a try.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 9, 2007

That's probably what it is. I guess my fear is that they'll think, "If we want to speak to her references, we'll call them ourselves." The district is pretty strict about things like that. Like I said, they request no phone calls and they also don't accept any unsolicited applications. I found that out the hard way. After I graduated 2 years ago I sent them a general letter of interest and I got a letter back telling me basically that they threw my stuff away because they don't accept any applications unless they have an opening. I guess I'm just afraid that because they're so strict that they'll think a phone call from one of my references is too forward.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2007

As long as your principal doesn't tell them that you asked him to phone, I don't think it will be a problem.

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 9, 2007

I think that they say no phone calls because they don't want a call from all 250 applicants! I think that a principal or superintendent making a courtesy call would be fine.

11. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I agree that the "no phone calls" is probably for the applicants. I think sometimes that principals and superintendents welcome calls from other administrators because it helps narrow down the competition! I'm pretty sure that the asst. superintendent at my old district made a call to my new district and that helped me out a lot.