Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 26, 2015

So here's the latest news in my roller coaster ride of a job hunt haha.

I was recommended to HR for a possible job. It is out of state so I would have to relocate (6+ hours). I was told teachers start this coming Monday (school starts in two weeks for students). I was also told that sometimes it takes a few days for HR to contact the candidate.

The thing is, if I had a 100% definite job I would have packed up and left this week to try to find a place to live before school starts. Though from past experience I know that just because a school recommends me to HR doesn't mean I 100% have a job. I've had a situation where I was recommended to HR and HR tells me I don't have the necessary certification etc. So right now I know nothing is set in stone.

My question is, do you think I am expected to be at whatever meetings or training etc there are on Monday, even without hearing HR and clearing everything with them? .... I am hesitant to pack everything up and drive so far without at least speaking to HR and them saying all my stuff is clear. ....Should I email the school and say that? How would I word it?

I don't want to come off as not eager to start, but at the same time, I would hate to pack everything up, drive 6+ hours, stay at a hotel during training and then have them tell me something went wrong.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 26, 2015

If you havn't been offered an actual position then don't go. When did they recommend you to HR? If you don't hear anything by the end of the week then I would call.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2015

I don't think they can fault you for not moving before you were given a contract. They may be disappointed, but any reasonable person would understand with the circumstances.

5. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 26, 2015

Thanks! The school recommended me yesterday so it hasn't really been that much time....but because school starts soon, and I have so much that needs to get done as far as apartment hunting and planning....I was hoping the process would be sped up a bit. Truth be told if this was happening with a few weeks to go rather than a few days I would not be worrying as much.

I guess if they don't call tomorrow I will email the school and just say that I am unable to start until I speak with HR and sort everything out....After what happened to me last time, I just don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 26, 2015

I wouldn't email, I would call the school and HR if you can and see what they suggest. As long as there are no hidden things like passing the praxis before the job starts, I would start packing and plan to drive down over the weekend and start on Monday.

i know because time is short it's stressing you out. I would be ready to leave at a moments notice once you are given the all clear. But again maybe they won't get back to you before Monday. And if you make the trip down there at least you'll be more prepared.

It's a tough call to make but what's the worst if the job doesn't go through? You'll be out a couple of hundred dollars, but you're still relatively close to home that it's not breaking the bank like a cross country move.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2015

:yeahthat:

8. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

Thanks.

Part of the reason it's stressing me out is because last time I thought I had the job and then when HR called me they told me I had to pass the praxis before school started (I didn't pass within the time frame they gave me) .... I just don't want something similar to happen again, plus I'm also worried they will need something that I wouldn't be able to send them or give them in such short notice or from a hotel room.

9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 27, 2015

You need to look into the certification requirements of the date you're moving to. Is this the same district and state that you were offered a job in previously, but had to take the praxis? Check to see if there is reciprocity with your state and apply immediately. I transferred to another state and my praxis test requirement was waived because my state had reciprocity with my old state and accepted my old state test. Instead of being surprised and finding out you need to do x, y and z, figure it out on your own because HR is not going to help you. My district was not helpful AT ALL and I had to figure it all out on my own. In fact, at my orientation I still hadn't received my license, and my district made me get a sub license that day and I had to work off of that until I got my license because there was no such thing as an emergency license for my content area.

You need to be up front with your district and contact them immediately with your situation and see what your options are. They may know what you can do. The fact of the matter is you can't walk in on day 1 with no license. HR is assuming you know what you're doing. You don't, so call them NOW, so you don't waste anymore of your time and money.

10. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

You're right. Yes, it was the same district which is why I am nervous. i don't think I would need the same praxis but I'm worried they will want another one.

My state does have reciprocity but I'm not sure if everything transfers or not.

11. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

What state is this for? I moved to VA and didn't have to do anything before starting. They give you until March of your first year to fulfill sone of the requirements, and 3 years from your start date to complete everything.

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 27, 2015

Congrats on the offer!

I would wait for official word from HR...they do not expect you before then.

In our PD today there was a guy who was just hired, no contract nothing....he is "official" but won't be voted in until next week.

What grade level and subject matter will it be in?

I would make that phone call to HR if not today first thing tomorrow morning. I am in VA and our kids actually start back on Sept 8th....staff came back yesterday.

13. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

It is also for VA... For the other school I got a job offer at they told me I had to pass the praxis by the time school started...I'm worried they are going to tell me something similar for this school since its in the same district

14. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

Thanks, I emailed both the P and someone from HR today no reply so I'm going to try and call HR tomorrow.

If I didn't have to relocate it wouldn't be as much as an issue for me, I just don't want to relocate with simply a reccomensation rather than an offer or something more secure. Plus, I can't even secure an apartment without a letter of hire so I would definitely want to save money and stay home until I know for sure rather than waste time and money in a hotel.

15. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 27, 2015

What about subject and grade level....I asked because that may give me an idea of what you may need endorsement wise, if at all.

16. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

Special Ed elementary

17. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 27, 2015

Ok I think I remember you said you had a SPED endorsement if so you may be ok and if there is anything you need for VA you will be given time to complete it.

18. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

I mean, I have a certification in special Ed but it's very general so I'm hoping I don't run into any issues with that.

I also noticed VA requires you to have a CPR/first aid certification .... I don't have that ... Do you think I would need that before I start?

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2015

Will you have to have passing scores on all four sub-tests of Praxis 5031? I know that 5031 was what many states went to after phasing out 5014. It appears that VA has very similar requirements for the tests that cover both elementary as well as the middle school specialization endorsements. I am not familiar with the VCLA, so don't know if that is an "everyone needs this test" or not.

I wish you the best of luck. I didn't know if you passed the sub test the one you didn't pass before, since it does look like you will need it to teach elementary K-6.

20. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

I didn't end up retaking the part I failed unfortunately because I felt I needed more time to study, so that offer fell through

I'm not sure if I will need it for this position but I'm worried I will need a different test instead and I have a very small window of time .... I really just wish they would check my credentials and all the technical stuff before the interview so that during the interview I would know what I am missing and where I am in the process. I feel like this is all backwards lol

21. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 27, 2015

VA does not have a "sped" praxis you need to pass the RVE, reading for va educators https://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials/5306
    and the VCLA http://www.va.nesinc.com/

yes you do need to have the CPR et al but many school divisions offer that or you can take it online, I did and all you need to show is that you passed. http://www.mycprcertificationonline.com/

22. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

So what kind of PD are happening next week? If I missed a couple days would I be missing really vital info?

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2015

So do elementary teachers not have to take the Praxis exam for that? A quick look through the VA DOE looked like there are Praxis exams for Elem. K-6, then, like NJ, the Middle School Specialization exams for 5-8 in ELA, Math, Science, and Social Studies. In NJ you not only need the MS exams to teach MS, but you also have the elementary certificate as well, so the 5031 has to be passed as well.

I am always interested in how other states go about certification. I wasn't able to follow the reasoning that you only needed to pass the Praxis 5031 if you are in a Title I school, which is what sent me looking at the DOE. Science teacher brain - I love a rhyme and reason for everything. :rolleyes:

24. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 27, 2015

Elementary does have specialized exams but sped teachers do not at this point generally if they are in an inclusion/collab classroom the highly qualified teacher and teacher of record is the gen ed teacher endorsed in the subject matter.

If the sped teacher may be teaching a core subject that will be SOL tested then I believe they need to be endorsed in that subject.....middle and high school courses can be through college credit hours and/or taking the praxis for that subject area(in some cases).

Title 1 schools have to have a highly qualified teacher if not the school has to send letters to the parents advising their child teacher is not highly qualified (endorsed in the subject they are teaching) which really does not mean they don't know the material :dizzy:

25. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

I agree! I am so used to my states requirements (and getting all the info drilled into my head) that when I hear other states requirements I am totally thrown off. The thing that bothers me though is that I kind of had to do all this research on my own, and for someone who is considering relocating I need to know all the details upfront, but I only get the general process.

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2015

Let me see if I get this. If I want to teach elementary SPED, I would need to pass Praxis 5031 for the elementary portion of the endorsement or certificate, but nothing extra to be SPED? I just assume that the teacher would at the very least have to be certified to teach elementary, since the SPED teacher should be qualified to teach that age group. If they are becoming special education based on course work, that would be fine, I think, but wouldn't you still want to see basic proficiency for the core classes for that grade range?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the acquisition of a passing score for each of the Praxis 5031 sub-tests could be what is keeping ST13 from hearing from HR. It doesn't seem possible to me that you could be licensed to teach elementary without passing the required exams.

ST13, I would be on the phone with VA DOE first thing in the morning, if I were you, seeking immediate and official explanations for the requirements for the certificate you want to obtain. No one should have to suffer through ambiguously written teacher licensing requirements. You may need to completely pass 5031, then meet the SPED through coursework - that is what would be necessary in NJ. You have too much riding on the official answers to just guess.

I truly wish you the best of luck, and I hope you will be able to clarify this for me, if no one else. I would thank you for sharing. :thumb:

27. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 27, 2015

Good news! HR emailed me back!!

I'm still a little confused in what they need from me, but I am going to call and try to figure everything out. This late in the summer it's just making me really anxious.

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2015

Congrats, and a good night's sleep - at last.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2015

In NJ for Elementary Sped, all you need is to pass the Elementary Ed Content Knowledge (Or whatever the 5014 got its named changed to) and then you get the K-6 certification & Special Education Endorsement.

i'm tired so i probably read your post wrong though

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2015

Actually, both NJ and VA require the Praxis 5001, which consists of four sub-tests. 5001 is the test that says you can teach Pre K-6 as a gen-ed teacher. The SPED endorsement is acquired by the coursework, however, without a test in either state. Virginia, however, also requires Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary and Special Education #5306, score of 157 to pass.

The prescribed tests for Virginia for initial licensure are as follows:
    ACADEMIC SKILLS ASSESSMENT
    Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment-VCLA
    CONTENT ASSESSMENT
    Praxis II (if applicable) – Refer to Praxis II: Specialty Area Tests

READING ASSESSMENT [Required for the specific endorsement areas listed below.]
    Praxis Series Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE): Elementary and Special Education (5306) -- A
    reading assessment [Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary and Special Education-RVE is required for
    individuals seeking initial licensure in any of the following endorsements (teaching areas): Early/Primary
    Education preK-3, Elementary Education preK-6, Special Education-General Curriculum, Special EducationHearing Impairments, and Special Education-Visual Impairments.
    [This assessment also may apply to those individuals with endorsements in Special Education-Emotional Disturbances, Special Education-Specific Learning Disabilities, and Special Education-Intellectual Disabilities who were advised under previous regulations to meet this assessment requirement for full licensure.

Assessments
    VIRGINIA COMMUNICATION AND LITERACY ASSESSMENT
    The Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) became effective January 1, 2006, for individuals seeking an initial
    Virginia license unless an individual meets the exemption criteria. Beginning November 1, 2013, the VCLA became available only
    through computer-based testing. For more information about the test content, test dates, costs, accommodations for individuals with
    disabilities, and registration, refer to the Web site, www.va.nesinc.com, or contact Evaluation Systems Pearson, P. O. Box 660,
    Amherst, MA 01004-9015; Telephone: (866) 613-3292 or (413) 256-2888; Teletypewriter (TTY): (413) 256-8032.
    PASSING SCORES: EFFECTIVE MARCH 22, 2006 to DECEMBER 31, 2013

PASSING SCORES: EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
    On June 27, 2013, the Virginia Board of Education approved new VCLA passing raw scores for the Virginia Communication and
    Literacy Assessment (VCLA).
    Even though the scaled passing score remains the same, the score scale has been adjusted to apply the Board approved passing raw scores. As a result, the scaled passing scores are 235 for the reading subtest, a score of 235 for the writing subtest, or a composite score of 470 for the assessment.
    Writing Sub Test: 235
    Reading Sub Test: 235
    Composite Score: 470
    Score reports for individuals who took the VCLA prior to January 1, 2014, will be accepted provided the candidate met the passing
    score effective at the time the test was taken.

PRAXIS II: SPECIALTY AREA TESTS
    Please note the column that identifies the “CURRENT VIRGINIA APPROVED TESTS.”
    The following tests are required for the noted endorsement (teaching specialty) areas for initial licensure unless an individual meets
    the exemption criteria. Individuals are required to satisfy the Specialty Area test(s) requirement for only one endorsement area, but it must match an endorsement area in which the initial licensure is granted. For information regarding registration, test administration,
    fees, the policy for testing individuals with disabilities, etc., please refer to the Web site, www.ets.org, or contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) at 1-800-772-9476 or 609-771-7395 for THE PRAXIS SERIES Registration Bulletin or write to THE PRAXIS
    SERIES, ETS, P. O. Box 6051, Princeton, NJ 08541-6051. Hearing impaired individuals using a Telecommunications Device for the
    Deaf (TDD) may call 1-800-275-1391 for information.
    SPECIALTY AREA TEST
    CURRENT VIRGINIA APPROVED TESTS (MARKED WITH X) SCORE ENDORSEMENT AREA ELEMENTARY EDUCATION:

SPECIALTY AREA TEST CURRENT VIRGINIA APPROVED
    (MARKED WITH X) TEST CODE Praxis II test codes beginning with a “5” are computer-based tests.

PASSING SCORE ENDORSEMENT AREA Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (taken before 7/1/2014) [Score reports for individuals who took the Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (0014/5014) prior to 7/1/2014, will be accepted provided the candidate met the passing score effective at the time the test was taken.]
    (5014) computer
    not current test in Virginia

143 Early/Primary Education preK-3;Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5031): not current test in Virginia

This test was required in Virginia 7/1/2014 through 6/30/2015.
    A passing score on each subtest was required. [Score reports for individuals who took the Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5031) prior to 7/1/2015, will be accepted provided the candidate met the passing score effective at the time the test was taken.]
    Early/Primary Education preK-3;

Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Subtest (5032): Reading and Language Arts (required 7/1/2014 through 6/30/2015)(5032) computer not current test in Virginia 165 Early/Primary Education preK-3; Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Subtest (5033): Mathematics(required 7/1/2014 through 6/30/2015) (5033) computer not current test in Virginia 164 Early/Primary Education preK-3; Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Subtest (5034): Social Studies (required 7/1/2014 through 6/30/2015)(5034) computernot current test in Virginia
    155 Early/Primary Education preK-3; Elementary Education preK-6
    Elementary Education Multiple Subjects Subtest (5035): Science
    (required 7/1/2014 through 6/30/2015) (5035) computer
    not current test in Virginia 159 Early/Primary Education preK-3;[/I]

Elementary Education PreK-6
    Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001): X
    This test is required in Virginia on and after 7/1/2015. A passing score on each subtest is required. If a passing score is not obtained on each subtest, a subtest may be retaken as a stand-alone test.
    Early/Primary Education preK-3; Elementary Education preK- Elementary Education: MultipleSubjects (5002): Reading and Language Arts (required 7/1/2015)

X (5002) computer 157 Early/Primary Education preK-3;
    Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5003): Mathematics (required 7/1/2015)
    X (5003) computer 157 Early/Primary Education preK-3;
    Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education: Multiple
    Subjects (5004): Social Studies (required 7/1/2015)
    X (5004) computer 155 Early/Primary Education preK-3;
    Elementary Education preK-6 Elementary Education Multiple Subjects
    (5005): Science (required 7/1/2015) X (5005) computer 159 Early/Primary Education preK-3; Elementary Education Early/Primary Education preK-3; Elementary Education preK-6

What I took from this is that Virginia appears to be very similar to NJ in the testing of Elementary, but they have 2 tests that are unique to them, the RVE and the VCLA. I know that the first aid and CPR training session will have to be passed, as well.

ST13, you are going to be a tired test taker if you need to pass all of these, Here's hoping that everything works out for you. :hugs:

31. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Va has a 3 year provisional license for sped, you will have 3 years to meet the requirements and the DOE will send you a list of what you are required to have for the full license.

32. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

ugh, I am hoping that my stuff that I already have will just transfer over and I can avoid most of this stuff.

33. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Okay guys,

so now that this is POSSIBLY all coming together I am having ALOT of second thoughts.

I just don't know if relocating with limited time is worth all the stress?? I am overwhelmed that I may only have a few DAYS to find an apartment and plan for my room!

PLUS I have very little experience with special ed....I feel like I don't have time to sit down and plan and really go through everything to be ready for the first day because there are so many other things I have to do like make sure I get all my paperwork in in time, pack and find an apartment!

I don't even know what day I would have to be there but I know it would be THIS coming week...I'm assuming as early as possible to get fingerprinting done etc.

I know if I chicken out I will probably regret it later on because there really isn't much for me here. I just don't know if I am making the right decision by deciding to just pick up everything and leave. Especially by myself.

34. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2015

My advice would be to step outside your comfort zone and make this happen! Use a hotel room as a home base for a week or so and search for apartments after school. It will be a real learning experience, and you'll be so proud of yourself and what you've accomplished when you are settled in and successful.
    If you are really uncertain about the school or position or aren't confident in your abilities, take the year close to home and substitute. Good luck.

35. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Thanks you're right. I've subbed for a while and I think I'm ready to make this happen ... Like you said it's way out of my comfort zone so I'm just letting the stress get to me. I'll definitely be proud of myself if I do!!

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 28, 2015

Remember that all you absolutely HAVE to have to teach a class is the teacher and the students. I've started the year without books, without a classroom, and without even knowing what I was teaching.

We have had new teachers miss the first day or two of PD because they were at central office finalizing paperwork. We did two days of PD (curriculum development) at the end of last school year, so the new people missed that completely. Many of those jobs hadn't even posted at that time.

It can add to the stress, but it gets done.

Definitely get a hotel or a sleeping room, then look for an apartment on weekends or after school.

37. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Thank you! You're 100% right, I think because I started applying so long ago, I had the idea stuck in my mind that I would have all this time to figure everything out...so now that I don't, it's hard to get the idea out of my head so it's stressing me out.

38. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2015

I think it's a typical teacher characteristic that we need it have everything perfectly ready for day 1. Get past it! Jump right in and sort it out from there.

39. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

So true!! I think I've been pinning too much on Pinterest! :lol:

40. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2015

Yeah. I said whatever took over for the 5014.

41. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 28, 2015

From a Virginia person there is no content praxis for sped teachers UNLESS you are adding a content endorsement or teaching an SOL core course.

RVE and VCLA is all that is needed. VA does offer a 3 year provisional license and you have 3 years to complete all fo the needed requirements.......you can not work on a provisional in Elem Ed though.

Most sped positions are resource and or inclusion so you are not actually "teaching" the core subject but supplementing, kwim?

I hope this information was helpful.