Need some advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by suzerich, Jul 24, 2014.

1. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jul 24, 2014

I just completed my first year as a teacher. My contract was renewed for this year. But, my principal told me about 2 weeks before school was out that I needed to think very hard about coming back this year. She has put me on a TINA plan and I am supposed to come up with a "plan" by August 15 to give to her to work out problems. The problems are all related to classroom management. I will admit my classroom management stinks. I received Below Expectations on my PDAS in several areas, but was proficient in everything else. I am not sure why I was given a new contract if she felt this way. So, my question is, should I even think about going back. We were on vacation for the last day to resign without penalty, so if I resigned now, I am not sure what would happen. I have not really looked for any other positions, but would like to be closer to my son's school. There are a few positions available but the chances of getting one of those positions are pretty slim, I think. I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I am a Technology teacher for 5-6 graders, but I am certified in other areas.

Thanks,

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2014

Can they hold you or your license if you were to resign now? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I would apply/interview in your situation or not.

Honestly, if I was in that situation, I would have been looking for a new position beginning the day I was informed. But, you can't fix that.

If finding a new position is not possible (due to the deadline to resign), I would be getting a plan together to make sure that all classroom management issues iron themselves out. If you need help with specific questions, I would recommend starting a thread in the "General Education" forum.

4. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

If it was the beginning of summer I would say to look for a new job. I don't know when schools in your area go back to school but around here schools go back in a few weeks. At this time of year, I say stay where you are and come up with a plan for classroom management that will work for you and the students in your class.

I will add that although you missed the resignation date, I don't think anything would happen if you left. Most schools will still let you out of your contract, especially if the principal is encouraging you to find another job.

5. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

It sounds like it might be too late to look for a new job. Try to find out. If you end up staying in the same place, remember that every year is a fresh start anyway. Your principal must have seen something good in you!

6. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

I'm not sure the contract in Texas holds the same weight as other states, because Texas is an "at will" state. I'm pretty sure you can resign at any time.

I read 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers this summer to get better at management, so I would recommend that book to you.

7. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I'm in Texas--the district CAN choose not to release you from your contract, which means that basically they can pull your license for a year. There was a teacher who resigned later than the 45-day-before-school deadline in the HR office when I interviewed earlier this week, in the same boat, and she was advised her request may or may not be approved. I've seen it happen in the district I taught at as well, so it occurs.

I wish you the best; the plus side (as I see it) is that your principal DOES seem to want to work with you. Can you meet with her and work on what she wants you to address in the plan? That way, the objective *she* wants addressed are addressed in the manner she wants them done. The other option, too, is too just ask HR about resigning and the implications.

I wish you the best...hang in there.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

Lack of classroom mgt skills is going to create problems for you in any new position you take and you could end up in the same position next year that you are in now. What are you doing to get better at this vital component of your teaching repertoire?

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2014

North Carolina is at will and they can hold your license. My old district held everyone for 30 days. If you left before that, you could lose your license.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2014

Your certificate can be revoked for a year if you do not give adequate notice. The deadline for this year has passed.

If you haven't looked for other positions before now, I would assume you wanted to stay in your current position. Most service centers have already offered most of their workshops, so pick up some books on classroom management. Read several so you can figure out which approach will work best for you.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

Given that the date has passed, I would consider reading material on classroom management. Use what you read to create a plan that you can turn into your P. Go into this year ready to tackle that plan and show you're P that you are willing to work on the classroom management problem. This will definitely help when you do go to apply for other jobs. Good luck!

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

Never resign unless you have a new job in your back pocket ... or you can afford to.

JMHO.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

This.:thumb:

The improvement plan is an opportunity to develop the behavior management skills that are vital to success in any teaching position.