Need some advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kevmic28, Jul 25, 2012.

1. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

How do I compete as a first year teacher against experienced teachers for teaching positions? Im getting interviews but not getting the jobs due to not having the experience.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

I was in the same boat, I had around 30 interviews before being offered a LTS position. I will offer you the advice I wish someone offered me. Focus on LTS positions just as much as full time teaching positions. Without that LTS experience it's hard to get a job in my area. After I completed my LTS this year I was hired at the school for next year. I know it feels like giving up on this year but try to consider it as the last hurdle before getting a full time position.

4. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

Thanks. I had a LTS this spring in 3rd grade teaching science. That was a good and a bad experience.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

If you're getting the interviews, then it's not your resume holding you back. If they were looking only for experience, they wouldn't call you in; they would only call in those people with the experience they're seeking.

I say you brush up on your interview skills. If they're choosing experience over what you have to offer, it's because you're not doing as thorough a job of selling your skills as another candidate is of selling his or hers.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

Sometimes though I feel like they call us to get a good mix of candidates even though they plan to hire someone with more experience. I was told quite often after interviews that I did exceptionally well, but I still didn't get a call back.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

Sometimes, you just have to connect. I have experience, but I only connected in one interview- and they went with a teacher with almost identical experience and background as me, but was local. I grew up 90 miles away. It is a super small, close-knit town.

8. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

Here is how I beat out an experienced teacher for my job: I stressed the fact that I am young and flexible, not set in my ways, and that they can mold me!

9. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 26, 2012

Well yesterday got the call that I didnt get a job I interviewed for last week then today I received 2 calls for interviews. One in town and one I will have to move for.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

Good luck!

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

Good luck!

As someone with experience competing against the young ones, I can tell you it is not easy for us oldsters either. It really depends on the district. My daughter's school has hired all newbies the past three years. My husband's school will hire people new and old.

Trust me, you just have to apply to the right place!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

Good luck!

You never know, with the economy, some districts may want to hire teachers with no experience as you cost less! So just keep at it!

13. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

Are you sure you are not getting the job because of your lack of experience or is it because of your interview skills? I don't think you would be getting this many interviews if you weren't qualified and they weren't open to hiring new teachers.