Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Unfound Fortune, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Unfound Fortune

Unfound Fortune Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

I have been surfing this site for quite a while and I finally decided to join in on all of these helpful discussions. I need some advice of my own. I graduated college with an elementary certification with a History Major. I did my student teaching at a middle school and did extremely well. Unable to find a job, or get an interview at that, and with student loans approaching, I took a pre-k position that I have now been at for eight years. I enjoy what I do, but I need to move on. I feel there is much more opportunity for me at other grade levels. I have been applying for all types of jobs, elementary and SS, but I have not gotten any bites. Did I totally make a detrimental career choice by accepting this job offer eight years ago? Is there anything that would help my job hunt? Getting frustrated with my decision. Any advice would be great. Thanks

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 25, 2012

I think history and ss jobs are so very hard to find in many areas of the country. I don't think it neccesarily has to do with teaching preK.

Good luck in your search.

4. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

I think it has nothing to do with pre-k either. I would keep applying, and think about networking. Do you have any children of teachers in your pre-k class? (Use your best judgement on talking to them - would it alienate your current employer? Would it make you appear less than happy in your current capacity to the parents who depend on you? If so, skip this one.) Do you know any through church, or other outside groups? Ask them what is up with hiring. They may know things that aren't advertised, etc.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2012

I think the Prek-K experience is great. I requires creativity, organization and management. Play up those traits in letters and interviews.

I am confused as to why you are El Ed certified, but student taught in middle school? Unless I am missing something I think that may be part of the issue. What type of job are you specifically looking for? Unless I'm missing something, it seems that your experience is thin and somewhat dated. Perhaps you could take additional coursework or volunteer at the grade level you are seeking to get your foot in the door.

Best of luck with your search.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 25, 2012

I don't know the OP's experience, but am certified in Elementary Education K-6 with an English 5-9 specialization, so I had to student teach in BOTH an elementary school and a middle school. Consequently, I can also work in either.

7. Unfound Fortune

Unfound Fortune Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

Thank you for all of your replies and luck. Iheart, my major is history with a concentration in elem ed. Because of this, I can teach elem ed K-5, SS K-12, and upon passing of ms praxis, any other subject area in ms (sci, math, la). Maybe my subject classroom experience is thin, but I have been successful in the classroom for the past 8 years. As far as volunteering, I'm not sure how to do that while teaching my own class. Any suggestions welcome. Also thought about going to get my spec ed cert. Which grade do you teach, queen? Thanks for the input everyone.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 25, 2012

I teach second grade :)

9. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Jun 26, 2012

Dear Fortune,

Does the school where you are teaching Pre K have other grades? If so, does your p know of your desire to transfer to something higher?

Could this be a case of; you are so good at Pre K that management is keeping you there... forever pigeon holed?

Also, in my state we have to keep taking classes to keep our cert. current. After 8 years, is your cert. still valid?

EK

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

I don't think teaching pre-K is hurting your chances of moving higher. I would start by posting your resume and cover letter and asking readers here for advice. That might help you land some interviews.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 26, 2012

Unless you have a standard cert and there are different rules for adding MS Certs that I am not aware of (I have a CEAS), you also need 15 credits in each subject area (no EDU classes count). I've added MS SS and MS Science in NJ since graduating.

12. Unfound Fortune

Unfound Fortune Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Always, I got grandfathered in, and am able to get these MS Certs with the pass of a praxis test. I spoke with a very helpful lady from the state and she explained everything to me. As far as other grades, kyle, there is a kindergarten by me, but it is not the right fit for me. And yes, I do very well where I am, but my director would begrudgingly help me go to a place of better opportunity.