Need some advice regarding seat work /cubby organization. Ugh.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

I wish I had a picture of this but I'm just going to have to describe it...

First of all, From 9AM to 10AM, my class does language arts. From 10AM to 11AM, we do math. I teach middle school but my students have special needs and academically, they are K-2.

That being the case, I have four different reading groups and four different math groups. I work with all eight groups in the two-hour span at a round table in a corner of the room.

In order to keep the other students busy while I am working with a math or reading group in the corner, I give the class "seat work" that they work independently on (with the help of my two classroom Aides). I can tailor the seat work to each student's IEP goals.

Here's my problem. My seat work storage/organization is not working very well. For one thing, I only have one bookshelf for all ten of my student's "project boxes." The "project boxes" are basically just clear, plastic "shoe storage boxes" that you can buy at the dollar store. The boxes are labeled with the student's names. Inside, they keep their crayons/colored pencils/scissors/glue and their seat work folder.

Sounds simple but it can be quite a mess. For one thing, some of the students have a small pencil/crayon caddy that fits in the box. Another student has a giant one that barely fits in there. Some students don't have any caddies and their pencils and everything are just loose in the box. Their folders (which also have their names on them) of course are too big to lay down in the shoe box so they're standing up on their sides. Once the kids hit them in the morning and then put them back, it's total chaos. Everything is such a mess.

I'm trying to think of a better storage/organization solution for this. At first I thought, BIGGER BOXES. But to store the bigger boxes, I'd need another shelf, and more room which I don't have either of. Then I thought, SAME-SIZE PENCIL CADDIES. But then I'd have to run out and buy them myself because my parents are pretty poor and even if they could buy them they might not buy the right size anyway.

My students can't store their things in a desk because I don't have desks in my room. The students work at tables. And the tables are too small to store their things in the middle. Because we're a middle school, the kids do have lockers just outside of the classroom. However, it would be a pain for them to go out to the hallway and get in their locker each time they need a pencil.

Ugh, I'm at a loss gang. Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I just deal with it like it is? *sigh* :unsure:

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

Actually I DID find a picture of my shelf that I took before school started. This was before I had all ten boxes in there and before they got filled up. But it gives you the general idea:
    [​IMG]

4. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I'd either do community pencils/scissors etc. or go out and buy something that fit (for the ones that had the large ones). Maybe you could go to a deli counter and get smallish to-go box donations that would fit. I'd lay the folders down under the boxes.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

If they can find their own folder with their name on the front, I would put the folders on the top of the bookcase in a magazine or file box. I have used a file crate with hanging files for each student before. I just put the seatwork in the file and they know to go to their folder for work. Or another teacher places each folder at the assigned seat and they work out of it as they get time.

Good luck finding something.