Need some advice on how to improve TVAAS data

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching4God, Feb 14, 2011.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Feb 14, 2011

My data is not good. Despite my increased efforts and creativity the data actually got worse. (Which I think is sooo crazy!) Anyway I have to submit a plan to my principal for improvements, I am open to suggestions...

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2011

What areas does the TVAAS access or what areas did you find your students were the lowest in?

4. basswife

basswife Rookie

Feb 15, 2011

TVAAS is basically a report card for all TN schools. It tracks the students on state assessments starting in 3rd grade (at least in our district).

I had a wonderful teacher tell me that one year her scores were horrible. When it came down to it, she had not taught the state standards as well as she should have. She had added a lot of fluff that year. The next year she stuck with those standards and her students did well. My suggestion is for you to make certain that you are covering those state standards. We use ThinkLink to monitor progress during the year. Some teachers use probes to determine student mastery on an SPI. You may want to do that too.

Did you teach 3rd grade last year? Our 3rd grade tests are basically a baseline. You also have to remember that the standards changed last year, so school districts were concerned that there would be a drop due to the tougher standards. Do you have a TCAP Coach book? Use it to help you prepare the students for the test.

I had TVAAS training this morning and it was amazing to see the data and what it all meant. It can be overwhelming, but hang in there!

5. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Feb 15, 2011

Well at least I know I am doing the right thing because I do all of the above mentioned things. :)