Need Reading Nook Ideas...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsS2009, Jun 13, 2009.

1. MrsS2009

MrsS2009 Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

I just received my first teaching job in the 4th grade. I will be teaching Literacy & S.S. The teacher before me had an area in her room that she called the "Book Nook." The kids loved it and she had a futon, 2 bean bags, 2 butterfly chairs, and 2 large pillows for the kids to rotate daily and have a spot in the room for independent reading. I loved that idea and would like to do the same thing, but I am having a hard time trying to decide what chairs and things to put in it. I have a pretty big classroom and the school was built last year, so I'd like to get something fairly nice. I also would like to get something reasonably priced. Any ideas for fun and good ideas for a reading area? Also, any other first year teaching advice would be greatly appreciated too! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time!!! :)

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

hit up garage sales!!! my kids love big pillows that I got at Garden Ridge and my extra-large beanbag chair that seats 2-3. my library is sorted by genre with some special author baskets so it's easy for students to find books that interest them. beth newingham has a system that you can modify for your collection and age group (she teaches 3rd), just google her. my advice is start thinking of your behavior management systems now and make sure you keep things organized for you and the students! having explicit procedures and rules will make things easier for everyone.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2009

I got a few of those "camping" chairs that are round like papasan chairs off of my local craigslist.

5. MrsS2009

MrsS2009 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

Thanks so much for the ideas! They are great!

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

My kids love giant teddy bears! Check garage sales! My kids also love rocking chairs. Oversized pillows - but I would make covers for them so they could be washed occasionally.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

Oh, have you read Spaces and Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy by Debbie Diller? She has lots of full-color photographs of different classroom libraries in her book that are very cool :up: I am going to try and make the one with the picket fence and the outdoor carpet in my classroom next year. I would include a pic but I can't find one from her book on-line.

8. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

How about colorful bath mats? Get the really fuzzy and inviting ones.

9. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

I had a cushioned foot stool, a "butterfly" chair (very cozy), and a little rocking chair (from Target and Walmart). Those are the seats that rotated, but everyone had a specific place in the classroom where they sat and read - some were under the tables, one sat under my desk, another laid down in our meeting area, etc. I bought the Rid lice spray to spray on the cushions for preventative measures.

10. MKMom

MKMom New Member

Jun 17, 2009

I student taught in a 2nd grade classroom and the kids loved the oversized pillows that were in shapes of different animals.

11. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Do you have a large room? I have a small room.:( I have two frog chairs($5 at target) and a small wading pool (less than $6) and filled it with pillows. These items do not take up a lot of space (more books:haha:).

12. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

My room is small, too. I want to make a tree in one corner, out of butcher paper....does anyone have pictures or tips on how to do it? I am completely hopeless at making things like this look nice and am afraid it will come out as a big glob of paper on the wall. I figured it wouldn't take away floor space and could go as high as the ceiling. Is it basically just long strips twisted?

13. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Check tonight's post about classroom pictures. Zoomzoom has a tree in the corner. Also checkout the classroom pictures in the a to z archives:2cents:. You will get lots of ideas. Good Luck!:thumb:

14. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

I use a camping tent and camping chairs. I put cushions and little tea lights and flashlights in the tent. Actually, the kids love anything that is different from sitting at there desk.

15. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

phillygirl, thank you! That's exactly what I was picturing.

16. MrsS2009

MrsS2009 Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

These are all wonderful ideas! Yeah, my room will be pretty large, but I loved the overstuffed, large pillows, bean bags, chairs and things. Thanks guys!