Need phonic songs

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mnunez, Oct 5, 2008.

1. mnunez

mnunez New Member

Oct 5, 2008

Hello
    I am desperately looking for the song to taech the alphabet sounds. It's the one that goes a apple b ball c cat, etc, It ;s part of the Sing Spell Read and write. I can't afford the kit at this. Also does anybody have a chart that can go with the song. Thanks

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 5, 2008

I know the song you are talking about. I prefer the LeapFrog Letter Factory song, it's much more effective when teaching students to identify both the letter name and the letter sound. In my experience when you use the /a/a/a/ apple song the students end up saying the name of the picture on the standardized tests when shown the letter instead of identifying the letter and they get marked wrong. For example, when students who have been exposed to the aaa apple song are shown the letter A on the standardized test they say the word "apple" instead of identifying the letter A. You don't get that when you use the LeapFrog Letter Factory song because they identify the letter name; "the A says ah, the A says ah, every letter makes a sound the A says ah". You can usually find the LeapFrog Letter Factory CD at WalMart for about $9.

4. sugar001

sugar001 Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

well it's a matter of taste- I like code words, but I also see your point.

Alphardy- set to the tune of jeopardy sounds very similar: Dr Warren- it is an inexpensive cd- someone also has a power point lesson they made up to go along with it on the net- a quick search will lead you- I printed the power point and had the cards laminated as flash cards, we flash, sing the song, and my assistant makes the actions/gestures all at the same time.....I have one little 2 year old girl that learned the entire song after just 3 times

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 5, 2008

And it is easy to hold in your head, it all goes to the "Farmer in the Dell" song, we use that one in combination with our Zoo Phonics moves as a transition.

6. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 5, 2008

How about Dr. Jean's Lettercize - goes to the tune of the Rocky Theme Song :) My kids love it and it really gets them moving!

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 5, 2008

Just a question-tell us about why you are looking for the specific song you mentioned in the OP?

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 5, 2008

I jsut made up a little ditty that my class loves-- we don't sing it we say it. It goes A says /a/ A says /a/ A says /a/ like Apple, B says ____ etc, C says _____etc. I just picked a word for each letter. We do a letter a week and we do it alphabetically. We only do the letters up to the letter we are on. So far we have done A, B and C. This week we will add D

9. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

I learned that song a while back. I just made a poster with the words and a pic next to it, laminated and post it. This is the version that I sing (i'm not going to write the individual letter). I sing it to the farmer in the dell as well. apple, ball, cat, doll, egg, fence, gate, hen, igloo, jam, kite, lamb, monkey, nickel, ox, pickle, quilt, rail, sand, tail, umbrella, vase, "i'm nearly through see my happy face", wagon, box, yard, zebra in a zoo, that was fun and now I'm through.
    Hope this helps

10. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

the "Hartmann" CD's are great...Kindergarten class used it almost daily for circle time.

11. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

phonics in Pre-K?

I am introducing letters to my 3+4 year old UPK class but wasn't going to get into phonics much. Should I be doing this and sining some of these songs with them? I thought that this is what they did in Kindergarten. My students seem so young for this.

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

Yes, absolutely start doing it now, it's definitely not too early. Our public pre-k program in TX is now required by the state to teach all letters, both upper and lower, phonemic awareness (that's a whole sequence of skills), as well as letter sounds. You can see the TX pre-k guidelines HERE
    Click on the first purple link to see the guidelines, and visit the second purple link to see a fantastic companion guide/website with videos of teachers teaching lessons from the guidelines- it's fantastic!