need perspectives which one to choose

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shine01, Aug 9, 2011.

1. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I got offers from two schools. One is a charter high school, another one is a public middle school. However, the middle school is a little bit far from my house comparing to the charter school. I already received the offer letter from the charter school. I have not yet received the offer letter from the middle school yet. But they gave me a verbal agreement and asked me to go to their school on Thursday. The charter school only offer me $48000 and each day is 8.6 hours of working. I think I will negotiate with the school about the pay, because I have a master's degree, and the public school should pay $52000 for master degree. However, that's a charter school so I am not sure their salary.
    1. Does any one know about charter school?
    2. If you were me, which one would you choose?
    3. How do I negotiate in a professional manor with the charter school's official about the salary?
    Thank you very much!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Go to the ms on Thursday and see what their offer is...then you can counter offer the charter. I'd personally go with the public for reasons of professional development opportunities, job security, pension considerations....:2cents:

4. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

I've been told from administrators and teachers at charter schools that salary offers aren't up for discussion- no bartering. I would pick the job based on whether you'd prefer high school or middle school.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Honestly I'd go with the public school position because of the additional money and like cza said, pd opportunities and stability.

6. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Seems public school is more appealing

Thank you for all of your advice. That's really helpful. I will go to the public school and check out the details. Hopefully it will be a better choice.

7. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Oh, I forgot to ask: should I ask the charter school for a raise? or should I just be quiet?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Wait and see what the other school offers.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

Congrats on the two offers! I personally would go for the public school offer for the reasons others said. Good luck on Thursday!

10. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

Thank you so much everybody. All of you are so supportive and kind.
    The public MS principal called me last night to change Thursday to today morning. I went and I already got the offer letter from her. She told me I am already in the system. Do you know what that means:"already in the system?" She just asked me to do the fingerprint asap. SO now two offers are granted. The MS did not say how much will offer on the offer letter. I am new to the system. So does any one know how much public middle school master degree new teachers' salary? Is middle school lower pay than high school?
    I heard charter schools usually pay more than public since we need to work more hours. However, this charter school is not in this case. they offer lower than public schools. So I have been thinking to ask for a raise. Do you have any idea about how to ask for a raise in a professional way?

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 10, 2011

In my area, charter schools pay much less and teachers work longer hours. Teachers working in a public school are typically paid based on years of service plus education regardless of what they teach or what grade level they teach (although my gov is working really hard to change this system).

I'm not sure asking for a raise before you even begin teaching would be a wise. They have offered you a salary and they must already be aware you have a masters since they hired you. And since you aren't aware of the salary schedule at the charter, you might already be compensated for your masters in the salary they are offering you now.

Good luck with your decision

12. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

good to know this

Wow, good to know about this. So I will not ask them the raise to embrass myself. Er, I think they are right. I will probably choose the public middle school because I only have to teach 10 periods a week.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

Is this a full-time position? What would you be doing the rest of the time--I can't imagine earning full-time salary and only working 10 periods/week!

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 10, 2011

I can tell you as the Principal of 6-12 Gifted Charter School in the Boston area that hiring varies from school to school. I know my teachers do work more hours than a typical teacher, but they have better pay and equal benefits. There is also more technology, opportunities for PD, and freedom in curriculum. Our school day is extended, but each teacher gets 2-75 minute periods of prep a day.

15. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 10, 2011

I'm not sure if you can negotiate the salary with charter school. I would also double check on benefits such as sick days because some of them only give 5 sick/vacation a year.

I wonder if you can find out the salary for the public school by calling human resources. Usually principals from public schools don't deal much with salaries.

I'm also concerned about the fact that the principal from the public school said that you were already in the system, does that mean that she already assumed you accepted the position?

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

Although the middle school is a bit farther, I assume it's not that much more farther to matter. I'd go w/ the middle school since it pays more. I know nothing about charter schools, but I do have a friend who's part of a grp w/ her friends who plan to open a charter school w/i 2 yrs. They're going to be the founders/board members & I told her I wanted more info on this too, so I guess I'll be finding out lot more later.

I have an interview tomorrow w/ a charter school, so I'll see how it goes.

17. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Some of the charter schools in my area actually pay on the state scale, but then again my state has a set salary no matter what district, and I don't know if others do this. Each district has a local supplement, which charter schools do not get, but it isn't that big of a difference, unless you are near a large district. Go with what makes you happy.

18. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

thanks

Thanks for your advice. that's very thoughtful. You have such a strong point. I will not ask for a raise. I will choose the MS.