Need opinions

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by ksmomy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Nov 21, 2005

I just wanted to get the opinions of others on my situation. I am teaching a four year old class right now and I really like the kids and the schedule. We are on the same schedule as the public school system so that means we get a lot of paid time off. The problem is that the center I am in is TERRIBLE. The director is not supportive of the staff at all. She keeps things from them such as bonus incentive programs they could be part of. She can't get them so she doesn't want them to get them either. I happen to know about a lot of the things because I was formerly a director. There are very little supplies and by that I mean right down to the construction paper. I have to buy a lot of things. The whole center is in complete disorganization. The supplies are literally thrown into the cabinets. This includes the kitchen cabinets. (I won't even eat there) (Not that we are offered) The children are fed what I consider to be very little food. They only get 1/2 hamburger. No cheese, no condiments. Just dry burger and a bun. Even if they ask, they can't have more. Our lunch is brought to us at 10:30 while we are outside and we don't eat until 11:00. Also, the center is not very clean. This doesn't just come from the staff not cleaning. The floors need to be waxed, some repairs need to be done etc... There is just years of built up things. Because of some of these things the center has quite a reputation in the county. Also, the teacher in the class beside of me is allowed to drill the children with flashcards and if they don't say their letters, tell the 1st letter of their name, the # of days in the week etc... they have to sit in time out or miss outside time. I hear them being told they are bad, mean etc... I may possibly have the chance to move to another center and be the lead teacher of the three year old class. (I haven't worked with 3's in a long time) I would lose all that time off but I have been told this is a wonderful center. My dilema is do I stay there for the children until the program is over? (the program is over the 1st week in June) or do I leave if I am offered the chance? I am sorry this is so long, I just seem to be having trouble finding a quality, professional place to work.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

It doesn't sound like you are happy at your present workplace - and I can certainly see why! If job satisfaction is important to you, move on and find a place where you can enjoy working. Those children need a good teacher too. As for your time off, if you are happier at the new center, you might not miss not going to work! (Not as much anyway.)

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2005

OMGoodness, they get time outs if they don't say the right answer?!? I am flabergasted. First of all, is there someone you can talk to above the director? If so, I would do that. I was in a situation like this. I eventually left due to being so unhappy, but before I left I made sure I made my voice heard and did my part in trying to make the place better. I bet if a new director was there, it would be a better place. The director should not allow those teachers to give time outs for that purpose. If it were my center, those teachers and the director would be fired. That's ridiculous! Leave if you are unhappy, but say your piece and make your voice heard to those who can change the center before you leave.

5. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Nov 22, 2005

Yes JenPooh, I first went to the director. When that didn't work I went to the county person who is over the program. (It is a state-run program within a private center) The county person said they had had several complaints about this site but they have to actually catch them doing something. They are so swamped they have not been able to get out to the sites very much. It is my understanding that the owner of the center was contacted on two separate occasions by two different staff members last year but, he takes the side of the director every time. This center is all about money. They are not in it because they want to help the children. You are exactly right. All of these problems go back to the leadership. With the way she is running this center I don't know how much longer it will last. Their enrollment is WAY down. Without this program they couldn't even stay open. It just breaks my heart to hear these other children being talked to this way and treated this way. I can only imagine what it does to their self-esteem.

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 22, 2005

That is a school I wouldn't want to work at.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2005

I would have to get out of there. I am straight foreword with people. If I heard anyone talking like that to those darling little children, I would confront them. We have to be advocates for the children. It is our duty.

8. 2teach4ever

2teach4ever New Member

Nov 22, 2005

This not only sounds like a horrific place to work - it sounds like a terrifying place for the children. I wouldn't want to work in this environment. I would be tempted to make sure my parents all new exactly what was going on in the center. That way they can be advocates for their children. Sometimes parents do not know what is going on...think about it... if you wouldn't want you're child there - why would someone else. Parents need to be informed, and changes need to take place. The voice of many will lead to change. The voice of one sometimes can be pushed to the side. I would position myself to be be the one that campaigns for those children.

9. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Nov 24, 2005

I have been hoping that some of the parents would say something but no one has. This teacher doesn't seem to care whether anyone hears her or not. Some of the parents have heard her and they have not complained to my knowledge. The teacher even tells them that their child has been in trouble for these things and they don't question it. Most of these parents don't know any better. We are supposed to be there to help educate them as well. Even though I don't like to be there and I am usually uncomfortable, I feel that I am protecting the children that are in my class. There is no telling who they would get to take my place. That is why I feel torn about leaving. I'm not sure that I can but my goal is to try to stay until the end of May when the program is over and then hopefully have something else lined up. That way I can see this group of children through. Sometimes it is just really tough to hold out. I am also hoping that through my being there I can help bring attention to what is going on to the right people and some changes can be made.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

What an awful situation for both you and the children at this center.