need morning meeting ideas

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by RJN, Aug 3, 2010.

1. RJN

RJN Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I am looking for ideas of things I could include in my "morning meeting" each day. I have a 7-9 Life Skills class, with a wide range of functioning levels. When I taught the elem. class we did the standard calendar, weather, lunch count, etc. Since these kids are older, I think it needs to be different. My kids love to talk about their weekend or night, but I would like some more structure. I have a few ideas, but would like to hear what you all are doing.

3. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 3, 2010

You still can do calendar, but in a more functional way. Maybe have them locate specific dates, like doctor appointments, paydays, holidays, etc. Make calendar questions for things they may be likely to use a calendar for in the future when they are on their own. They may get paid every other Friday, so have them locate paydays. If you run a checkbook program in your class you can say bills are due on certain days and they will need to pay those bills on those days. They can locate those days on the calendar as well. Just a thought since they are a life skills class.

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

Here is what we do:

Morning Prayer: Students can bring in prayer intentions if they want to - parents need to help some of my non-verbal students with this by putting it on a note or on their step-by-step.

Attendance and What I Did Last Night: We have three ways to record what a student did the night before - a couple of the students can tell us verbally, a few of them use a PECs book that I created and some of them use step-by-steps that parents have recorded on. I do not do all students each morning as staff do one-on-one what I did last night later. I just pick one or two while doing attendance.

Calendar: We mostly look at what is the date and what upcoming events we have. Students also keep a personal binder that has a personal calendar in it. On that calendar they have important things in their lives including upcoming birthdays, aniversaries, celebrations...etc. They look ahead at this and make and/or prepare cards for mailing to those people.

Weather: We still do weather as its an imporant thing for student to know. We talk about what to wear and what percautions to take for each type of weather. Some mornings I do "feel the weather" where students get to feel the weather (heat lamp/fan for sunny, fan for windy, spray bottle for raining, ice or snow for cold or snowing...etc.).

Daily Schedule: We go through the schedule of what we are doing today. Each student also has a personal schedule in their personal binders.

Other things that we do from time to time or on a weekly basis include:
    - voting and graphing - we vote on things related to what is going on and/or current events
    - current events - using concepts from news-2-you if appropriate - play a quick game, read a quick book, read the news-2-you paper, look at pictures, interact with items...etc.
    - teen trends - every once in a while I play music or we look at videos or items related to teen trends as I feel like these students do not get enough of that
    - meal planning (once a week) - on Mondays we vote on a group meal to make for Friday (from 2 choices) - we then have jobs related to getting out order forms and making grocery lists, shopping, preparing meal...etc. that students do during the week
    - job assignments (once a week) - we also assign jobs for the week on Monday - even if the students are not physically able to do the job they are assigned a job as we then work on having that student communicate to someone else what to do to complete the job (even if its just with a simple switch) or modify the job in a way they can do it.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Wow - no way. I was going to list my paltry ideas for mm and yours blew me away - so I'll be utilizing yours! :woot: I was going to second your initial thoughts of making "calendar time/circle time" more age appropriate. The first year I did LS was also my first year teaching. So I was pretty elementary that year (poor kids!) and we basically did "circle time" with calendar, weather, and I encorporated some "math counts" in there even though it's an elementary program. (Do you guys have that in Canada? It's pretty cool!)

But last year, I toned it down a bit. Got rid of the "math counts" and stuck to "say the date/write the date." Then the class manager would put up the daily schedule (large boardmaker-like pics), and then he/she would "spin the money wheel." This is a wheel that I bought from "Really Good Stuff" that you can write on with a dry erase marker. So I'd write stuff on there like, "Said 'Good Morning' to teacher - .10". They got three spins and chances to "get paid" with real coins which they would then count each day and put in their individual little banks. I had a little money line up on the board and velcro pics of their faces and I would move them down toward the coveted "dollar" spot. On Fridays, they could purchase things from the classroom store.

I really saw marked improvement with money identification and counting by the end of the year using this method - so I'm going to continue doing it.

I like your idea of incorporating "what did you do last night" in there. I was just going to ask them "what's going on" but "what did you do last night" adds more structure and narrows it down for them. I like that! :thumb:

EDIT - - crap sorry. Thought that initial post was from m2m!! Duh.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Oh and one more thing and it kind of goes along with what Sammy mentioned about paying bills using the calender. I once read a short snipit about a life skills teacher somewhere that actually treated the classroom like a community. For example, students would pay rent for their desk locations! Desks in the back of the room were coveted so students paid more money for those. The could also "move" if they wanted to.

I wish they had explained more about the logistics of this because I'd really like to do it. I just don't know how to get started.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Hey! That was my 1000th post!!

:celebrate::partyhat::party:

8. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

Bumping up for Tims, who asked about morning meetings.