Need more Info on SoCal teaching programs

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teachme, Oct 25, 2005.

1. teachme

teachme Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

Hi everyone! I'm new =) I am currently in the process of applying to Teacher Education Programs in Southern California. I completed my undergraduate studies in San Diego, but plan on graduate school in the Los Angeles Area.

I would like ANY info anyone can share about the following programs (if anyone here has applied there, is currently enrolled, etc). Any words of wisdom/advice would be appreciated:

USC- University of Southern California
    UCLA - Univ. of California, Los Angeles
    UCSD - Univ. of California, San Diego

I am hoping to only have to apply to these 3 schools. Is that too little? I am optimistic about getting into at least one of these, but if anyone knows that it would be difficult - please let me know! I have a good undergrad gpa, have passed the CSET & CBEST, and have yet to take the GRE. Are there any other good programs I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2005

Hm. Interesting list. No Cal States?

You might want to look into the University of San Diego (the Catholic one, not the UC) or, if LA area is important, Claremont Graduate University. I can't recall whether Loyola Marymount has an education program, but it probably does, and that would be a fine choice too.

4. Charab33

Charab33 Rookie

Nov 24, 2005

Good SoCal school

I recently moved to San Diego and decided to go to grad. school for my credential. After looking at the obvious choices: San Diego State and USD, I found a small school, Azusa Pacific University. The teacher program, although a bit more expensive, is in-depth and extremely concentrated on whatever grade and/or subject you choose. I had reservations at first, but I did some research and found out the are a great school with a great reputation, also NCATE recognized. I sound like an advertisment LOL. Anyway, the bottom line is they offer a great program for your cred. and masters, and they have campuses througout Southern Cal. I will begin my classes in Feb. (9 week terms) and I should have my program completed by this time next year, they also offer placement, which is a bonus. Okay, enough, I really do sound like an advertisement. GOOD LUCK.

5. tiana626

tiana626 New Member

Feb 9, 2006

Credential Programs in L.A.

I am currently researching and applying to credential programs in the L.A. area. Does anyone have any thoughts one the programs at CSU Northridge, CSU Los Angeles, and USC (M.A.T. program)?