Need Math Credits

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gkis, Sep 22, 2014.

1. gkis

gkis Rookie

Sep 22, 2014

Unfortunately today I got a note from NJDoE that I will need 8 more Math advanced credits. Some of my foreign credits are not specific enough, so the examiner cannot take them into account. Not sure this is the right place, but do you have a recommendation which is the least expensive place where I can take 2 online Math classes. Thanks and I am sorry if this is the wrong forum.

3. bora

bora Rookie

Sep 22, 2014

I needed credits too and Departament of Education recommended me Charter OaK State College. They offer online classes, only. Check their website.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 22, 2014

Do you have a local community college you can contact? I was told I needed science credits for a certification I applied for and I took it online through the CC and didn't have to spend too much $$ either.

5. gkis

gkis Rookie

Sep 22, 2014

Thanks guys,

I was thinking community college as well, but their Math classes are only 100 and 200, what I need is 300-400 classes (advance standing). It is actually such a shame, because I have at least 12 credits at that level, but from Europe and the examiner is not taking them...Maybe I should check the SUNY system and that would be my best bet....sigh

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2014

I believe your best bet will be a full university, since not even CLEP exams could help you at those levels. However, you should be able to take the courses online, which would be more convenient. If you go that route, there are greater options. Just make sure that the courses are free of pedagogy, or not education, and that the university you use, if you go online, is regionally accredited. I would suggest possibly looking at BYU - they seem to have a lot of online courses. It's that whole upper level courses because you are going for the K-12 content area. I can tell you that NJ won't reconsider. If you think that another state might, however, now would be the time to have your transcript evaluated before taking more courses, FWIW.

Sorry for the news, but so much better to know now rather than later. Someone on this forum just mentioned taking her entire undergrad degree at Ashford University, in Iowa. It sounded as if she was able to complete the courses on her own timeline, which meant she wasn't restrained by traditional semesters. Maybe that helps, maybe not. It is a regionally accredited university - I checked. :( but there is hope :)

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 22, 2014

Look into SUNY Empire State if you want online classes. What other SUNYs are close to you?

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2014

Ashford is $420 tuition per credit, which would be better than anything I could get in NJ.

9. gkis

gkis Rookie

Sep 22, 2014

MikesTeachesMath:Empire State is where I got my second degree in Info Systems and this is the cheapest I will probably find as in-state, $270-80/credit.

lynettstoy: Thanks, I will not even think of trying to make them reconsider. It'll be just easier to take the 2 classes-waste of time and money, but it is what it is. I will have to pick my battles ....

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2014

See, already thinking like a teacher! :lol:

11. gkis

gkis Rookie

Sep 23, 2014

You're too funny :)