Need list for meeting with parent

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Ms.T, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Oct 2, 2007

Hey all,

I have to meet with a parent and the special ed teacher about a student. I need to make up a list of things that second grade students should know - things they should have mastered already.
    For example:
    -addition facts memorized to 10
    -all letter sounds

etc.

Can you tell me some more things? I need something concrete so the parent can understand that their child is not at grade level.

Thank you!!:D

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Oct 2, 2007

I would say use your state standards. Look at the first grade standards as a guide in letting the parent know what the student "should" know.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 2, 2007

The kids in my state are not required to have their addition and subtraction facts memorized in first grade(???). I agree with teacherfan- check your state standards.

5. annafish

annafish Companion

Oct 2, 2007

I would have:
    -a list of the sight words they should know (from 1st grade and K)
    -The reading level they should be on, not sure if you use DRAs or what, but I would even show a book that your class is currently reading
    -a writing sample to show

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2007

Along with the writing sample, have a sample of "on level" work from another student, or from curriculum or state exemplars if you have them. I always find that it helps parents to see the comparison--here's what your child should be able to do and here's what they can do. Your end-of-year state standards for grade 1 should provide a good starting point for your discussion.

7. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Oct 4, 2007

Your district should have grade level expectations of some sort that coorelate with the state standards. That's what tells you what the kids need to know at the end of 2nd grade. Hope that helps.