Need language arts inspiration! (spring fever...)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bored of Ed, May 30, 2012.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 30, 2012

My language arts sessions have been worse than dead lately. Zero interest, zero participation. I do try to pick reasonably interesting topics for reading and writing but I must confess I haven't done anything really special in a while. I am desperate for ideas to wake up this class, I don't think I can stand one more period of zombie 101. There are two students; it's a resource class.

Here are the constraints:
    1. I have max 4 more 40-minute sessions and tend to get cut short by something or other, so can't be anything too long-term.
    2. I have had quite a bit of behavior issues with this group in the past, so I don't want to give them too much of a fun party feeling, it has to be work-y enough, just interesting and engaging work. But I'm not going to, say, show a video instead of teaching just because it's the end of the year and my regular stuff isn't working.
    3. Students are in 7th grade but behind, so anything around or above a 5th grade level would probably be suitable.
    4. I do want to accomplish some useful learning objective, but I'm not bound to a specific curriculum at this point. The way things have been going lately I'll be happy if the students gain anything at all in reading, writing, or thinking skills.

Extra credit if anyone has an idea that I can get ready by tomorrow... I know I'm a little late to realizing that what I'm doing isn't working but I can't bear the thought of even one more day like today! Session was SOOOO dead, zero involvement, participation, nothing.

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 30, 2012

Maybe some kind of science experiment that requires them to read directions, make a prediction, and then cooperate to follow the steps?

Any suggestions?

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

May 31, 2012

Why not ask the two students what they want to learn and design L.A. activities around that? If a girl is really into fashion, have her read a some fashion articles and then summarize what she learned. Have her then write several ads designing her promoting her own fashion line. If a boy is really into comic books, have he read comics in class then design his own comic. Have him read a biography of Stan Lee or something like that.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 31, 2012

Not going to happen. Tried that multiple times this year. They just simply don't want to learn. :(

6. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Jun 2, 2012

this might work

here is a writing activity that I think hits a sweet spot between work and fun. There is a 4-6 grade tab for you to use. If you don't want the students to see the grade level, just get it to the next page before you show them. Lasts just a short time, isn't tied to anything else, printable so there is product at the end, personalized.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/storystarters/storystarter1.htm

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2012

Some little things that might be fun...

You can get some grow in water animals. Maybe the students can write a good description of their animal before it grows. They could even take some measurements. Then they need to put it in water. The students can then write descriptions of what is happening at different time frames. Maybe they could do a little reading on their animal.

Scholastic news has a free article that you can project. It is about the election that is coming up in November, but it also has a few other stories. Might be fun to read. I bet if Scholastic news has a free article, so does scope and a few other scholastic magazines.

Mentos in a soda bottle is always a fun science experiment. You could have the students design a way to make the biggest explosion. They would need to draw pictures, write a step by step explanation of how to do the experiment, write a description of what happened.

Another place to get some cool demonstrations is the Head Rush show that plays during mythbusters: http://headrush.discovery.com/ It might have some great resources for science experiments.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 3, 2012